PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a steel stand?

Scffvariable
02/03/2014, 10:35 PM
I am looking at purchasing a used 250dd that has a very nice steel stand. Only problem is the stand is 42" tall and my door to the basement is only 30".

Can I cut the stand in the middle of the uprights, move it inside and then put a smaller square tube inside and bolt it back together? Kinda like an insert. I would also be making it a little shorter since I am cutting it, probably down to 36" tall.

Need some advise, I would like to make the stand work, but I could always build a new 2x4 stand if need be.

mcgyvr
02/04/2014, 06:19 AM
You must be really short if your basement door is only 30" tall.. ;)

cutting a stand intended to support 2500+ lbs multiple times is NOT a good idea.. Neither is having to "stitch" it back together with smaller/weaker tubing.
IMO if you have to ask if its ok then the answer is no.

SGT_York
02/04/2014, 10:11 AM
If you only cut the vertical pieces and get a snug fit with the tubing it will work, just make sure that the weight is not on the smaller tubing, and especially not on your bolts. make it so your stand height will be lowered the thickness of your blade. You should never cut the horizontal pieces.

Also can you weld it back one in your basement, and what will you skin it with?

How wide is the stand, sure it won't fit vertically?

JGxIronman
02/04/2014, 10:14 AM
Just cut down the peices and reinforce the frame. If you are good at welding, then. I would fo on to do a weight check grab some buckets of water or concrete and simulate the load you are going to use.

sfsuphysics
02/04/2014, 03:53 PM
As I'm imagining what you're saying is to cut the legs essentially in half (or whatever length you desire) then when you get the stand to the other side put a smaller metal tube inside and bolt it all together?

It could work, as long as the legs and everything lined back up you remove the sheer stress from the bolts because it's still resting on the old legs. And as long as the legs are perfectly straight all the weight will still be distributed the same way.

No trust in welding it back together once you get it in place?

Wills612
02/04/2014, 07:20 PM
Once you cut the legs they will most like spring in towards the center. It might be tuff to spread them back out. I think you have the right idea with sleeving the cut tubes. The sheer strength on a bolt is quite a bit. I would still shoot to butt the legs up inside the sleeve with a couple 1/2" through bolts and should be good.

Sethjamto
02/04/2014, 08:21 PM
I would cut it at the top of the leg at the new height you want and weld it back together (minus the few inches you want to shorten it). It can be done quickly and easily with a flux core MIG welder. If you don't have one, ask around and hopefully someone you know does. It'll be just as strong as original if done this way versus bolting like you suggested.

davocean
02/04/2014, 08:35 PM
My first thought is just remove the door and jamb if you thought that would give you room enough to get it in, a lot more simple to do than welding if you can, and if you can deal w/ that height.
But I agree, cut it to length and weld a top back on if you can't, and just add gussets for additional strength and support which you should be doing anyway.

Scffvariable
02/04/2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Even with pulling the door and jamb there is not enough room, otherwise I would be all over that.

I will have to check with my buddy that welds and see what he thinks. Sounds like I am going to cut the top off, shorten the stand and reweld after it's downstairs. Seems like there is always something......

rk_tek
02/06/2014, 07:59 PM
You should have no problem sleeping and bolting the legs. If you want to skin the stand though, you may have issues with the bolt heads interfering but if you need to ale the stand back out, unbolting is a lot easier than recutting and welding.

Sleeping = cutting according my my autocorrect. At least it didn't correct to something embarrassing.