PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean tank used by turtle's

lwillis22
02/05/2014, 11:40 AM
should I do anything special when cleaning a tank out that was used for turtles?

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Reef Frog
02/05/2014, 11:48 AM
I would clean it with bleach to eliminate the possibility of salmonella. Make sure the turtles didn't claw the silicone at the seams.

Blown 346
02/05/2014, 11:49 AM
Water, vinegar and a razor blade to remove calcium deposits. Just be careful with the razor and keep it at a 45 degree angle so you dont scratch the glass. Then just rinse and your good.

If its really bad you can use just straight vinegar. Either way make sure to let the either the vinegar/water mixture or straight vinegar sit for a few hours to soften stuff up so its easier to clean.

if you do use bleach make sure its 1 part bleach and 19 parts water. Rinse extremely well and smell for the smell of bleach, if you smell bleach rinse again. Or you cna let plain water sit for a day and then drain to soak up any bleach residue.

fishgate
02/05/2014, 12:13 PM
I have always read that a tank used by any reptile, which I think would include turtles should never be used for fish again.

julie180
02/05/2014, 12:35 PM
Never use a razor blade on dry glass.

Allmost
02/05/2014, 12:37 PM
Bleach.
then rinse.
then vinegar, [to neutralize the bleach]
then rinse well.

then let it dry.

important to let it dry though.

lwillis22
02/05/2014, 12:50 PM
thanks for all the help. I wondered if vinegar would be OK to just use. the tank is actually very clean I just want to get any trace of the turtle out of it.

bellis31
02/05/2014, 12:54 PM
Bleach.
then rinse.
then vinegar, [to neutralize the bleach]
then rinse well.

then let it dry.

important to let it dry though.

This...^^^^^^

Is how I did mine!!

lwillis22
02/05/2014, 01:16 PM
OK why is it important to let it dry?

clay12340
02/05/2014, 02:58 PM
I have always read that a tank used by any reptile, which I think would include turtles should never be used for fish again.

That's interesting. I've never heard of that. Have you ever come across a reason for that recommendation?

I've kept turtles and fish together for years. Except for the occasional sushi platter they seem to do really well together in my experience, so I can't imagine any sort of lingering dangerous residue hanging around. I've had fish that lived for years, spawns, and other things that would make me think they were happy in the setting.

I would guess that what they actually meant was don't use a reptile tank for aquatics. Which is a tank structure issue and completely unrelated to the reptiles themselves. Glass reptile terrariums are pretty common and look basically like aquariums, but they aren't designed to be filled with water. They use thinner glass and such to keep the cost down. If you did fill one up you'd probably end up with a wet floor at some point. So if you see a craigslist ad for an iguana tank or something it's probably not a good choice for fish.

Allmost
02/05/2014, 03:03 PM
OK why is it important to let it dry?

it would be a way of making sure everything that can live in water dies off.

we use this method to re-use tanks that once hosted very problematic bacteria or pathogens. and it has never failed.

you may be fine with just rinsing it with water, but above will ensure you everything bad is dead ... and removed.

lwillis22
02/05/2014, 10:57 PM
great thanks for all your help!