PDA

View Full Version : How much light is too much for 90 gal?

Liverocknroll
02/05/2014, 07:31 PM
For my 90 gallon I have 2 halide's radium 150w 20000k blue lights 4 54 w actinic lights and 3 LED moon lights. Any suggested running times for these lights, feel free to post schedules for coral growth, and could I be over doing these lights for leaving them on 8 hours plus a day? On a almost unrelated subject my Torch coral is not coming out full length and I figured it would have something to do with over lighting possibly. My current corals are a massive GSP overgrown on a large arched live rock, a Torch coral with two heads, a blastamusa that I placed below the large arch rock for a dimmed light affect, and lastly a unknown coral it has red branching structures with vibrant green polyps at the top, almost like my gsp but hard.

bnumair
02/05/2014, 11:02 PM
if your asking in terms of hours, then 8 hrs max should be good with 1 hr dusk and 1 hr dawn 6 hrs main light. if your asking in intensity then a par meter will be ur best friend to let you know what par ur currently at and may need to move the MH up or down accordingly.
With any coral you need to light acclimate them by placing them in dark low level (prefer sand bed) for atleast 1 week then move them to a higher point for another week and then higher next week till u reach the highest spot you need to place them in permanently. With LED lights its easy as they have intensity adjustments.

Blown 346
02/05/2014, 11:20 PM
For my 90 gallon I have 2 halide's radium 150w 20000k blue lights 4 54 w actinic lights and 3 LED moon lights. Any suggested running times for these lights, feel free to post schedules for coral growth, and could I be over doing these lights for leaving them on 8 hours plus a day? On a almost unrelated subject my Torch coral is not coming out full length and I figured it would have something to do with over lighting possibly. My current corals are a massive GSP overgrown on a large arched live rock, a Torch coral with two heads, a blastamusa that I placed below the large arch rock for a dimmed light affect, and lastly a unknown coral it has red branching structures with vibrant green polyps at the top, almost like my gsp but hard.

I dont think you have too much light at all. I have 2 250 watt halides over my 90 with 2 110 watt VHO's. The tank is fileld with softies, LPS and SPS.

As for lighting schedules and run times.

I run my lights for 8 hours a day, with a hour of dusk and dawn like stated with my VHOs. Then the Moon lights kick in until the VHOs come back on.

I use the 14 K Halides, the 20K have more of a blue hue to them, that could have a impact on the corals. The higher up in kelvin you go the less realistic the lights become as far as natural sunlight. I like to stay between 10 to 14K bulbs and let the actinics do there work.