PDA

View Full Version : Which of these Tangs are Compatable? Least Aggressive - Blue Hippo, Powder Blue, Yell

that Fish Guy
02/05/2014, 09:25 PM
I am looking to get some Tangs.

Which of these Tangs are Compatable with each other?

Least Aggressive

Blue Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Atlantic Blue Tang

Would they get along?

How would you rate them on Aggressiveness.

Reefahholic
02/05/2014, 10:53 PM
My Powder Blue was mean as heck. He had a good memory too towards other fish he didn't like. I put him in another tank for 2 weeks to keep him from picking on another fish and as soon as he was put back in DT, he went right to him. Very dominant fish. Powder Blues are harder to care for too... they are more sensitive than the others you mentioned.

My Yellow Tang and Blue Hippo were both pretty cool and laid back.

Heard somebody today saying their Blue Hippo was picking on another fish.

Jerzey
02/05/2014, 10:57 PM
its a roll of the dice....i got lucky my blue and powder blue get along perfect i've yet to see a single sign of agression towards each other since i introduced the powder blue 3 months ago.

Timfish
02/05/2014, 10:59 PM
Unless you are getting really big tangs all these most likely will be juveniles when purchased. Even if you have several that get along initially there's no guarantee you won't have problems 3, 4, or 5 years down the road.

HumbleFish
02/05/2014, 11:02 PM
Whichever ones you pick, adding them all at once usually eases the aggression. No established "boss of the tank" to deal with.

Jerzey
02/05/2014, 11:06 PM
true... but i'll cross that bridge when it comes and when it does i'm sure my powder blue will be the victor as she's already got 2" on my blue.... only the strong survive in my tank i do not cater to any one fish over the other

D-Nak
02/05/2014, 11:12 PM
How big is your tank? And how big are the fish? Not trying to be the tang police, just that it is something to consider when mixing tangs. Tangs like Power Blues get stressed in smaller tanks which could lead to aggression, or hiding, or pacing the tank -- depending on the individual fish. Stressed Powder blues are also susceptible to ich and can spread it to the other tangs.

The general rule for mixing tangs is the have them of different shapes. For example, a yellow tang may fight with a purple tang (both zebrasoma) or a Power Blue may not get along with an Atlantic Blue (both Acanthurus). In your case, mixing them will end with variable results. Of those on your list, assuming you have a large tank with plenty of hiding spaces and water conditions are ideal, the safest bet would be a blue tang and a yellow tang, mixed with either a Powder Blue or an Atlantic Blue. I would try all four unless you have a very large (the longer the better) tank.

In terms of aggressiveness, I personally don't like rating them. There are just to many variables. Of each of tangs you listed, I've owned all of them, and on multiple occasions -- all of which were either model citizens or displayed aggression -- so I really think it boils down to an individual fish's personality as well as their environment (as I mentioned previously).

Reefahholic
02/06/2014, 12:54 AM
its a roll of the dice....i got lucky my blue and powder blue get along perfect i've yet to see a single sign of agression towards each other since i introduced the powder blue 3 months ago.

Mine did too...but the PB didnt like other fish (dottyback).

Reefahholic
02/06/2014, 12:56 AM
Whichever ones you pick, adding them all at once usually eases the aggression. No established "boss of the tank" to deal with.

That isn't no joke.