PDA

View Full Version : Best test kits?

NittyGritty
02/05/2014, 09:59 PM
I was thinking about going red sea. I have some old API now and need to replace. What do you guys think?

Ease of reading colors (if not digital) is huge for me, as I am partially colorblind.

zachogden
02/05/2014, 10:16 PM
If you're colorblind I'd probably go with Hanna checkers for calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate. Apparently they make an ammonia one now too. Some people have problems with the phosphate one but I've yet to experience it

bertoni
02/05/2014, 10:31 PM
There are good and bad reports for all the brands of test kits. The Hanna meters for alkalinity and phosphate get acceptable reviews, excluding bad batches of phosphate reagents, and they don't require color matching. The calcium meter seems to get poor reviews, probably due to the dilution required.

NittyGritty
02/05/2014, 11:43 PM
Yeah I've read bad reviews as well. I've seen people sell them off right after buying them as well. That's why I was looking into others. I'm not completely colorblind so I know there are kits out the with very prominent color changes and not a slight purple to blue sort of thing.

bnumair
02/06/2014, 12:24 AM
i have used many kits from cheap brands to expensive meters. i am happy with Red Sea on many test kits, for alk and phos i use Hanna.

Blown 346
02/06/2014, 12:25 AM
I love my Hagen test kit, Has never steered me wrong.

Ruffoj926
02/06/2014, 12:44 PM
The Hanna alkalinity and phosphate checkers are great. But, the Hanna calcium checker is useless. So, I use Elos calcium test kit. It's very good. There is no color matching required; you just have to watch for the color to change from pink to blue. Very easy.