PDA

View Full Version : Guess my new fish

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 09:49 AM
What is black and yellow, doesn't get very large in size, and wears the markings of a tiger?

Go...

albano
02/06/2014, 10:00 AM
Dwarf bumble bee grouper!

What do I win?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 10:04 AM
Your exempt for this game as you ready know lol.

And way to ruin it for everyone :p

Angelfish rule
02/06/2014, 10:08 AM
Any pics of your new grouper

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 10:22 AM
No, not a grouper :)

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 10:34 AM
Anyone else?

shifty99
02/06/2014, 10:55 AM
Lemonpeel-flame angel hybrid?

Marshall O
02/06/2014, 11:04 AM
Tigerpyge?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:10 AM
Getting warmer :)

nonstopfishies
02/06/2014, 11:14 AM
Albano's avatar.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:17 AM
? What's an albanos avatar fish? Lol

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:22 AM
Fine, that was quick.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:23 AM
Notice the meat on this guy :)

albano
02/06/2014, 11:28 AM
Notice the meat on this guy :)

Is that why the bucket he's in, says "family size"?

Angelfish rule
02/06/2014, 11:33 AM
Awesome fish
great find

RDtrack
02/06/2014, 11:39 AM
Is he eating? Nice fish but can be hard to get to eat.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys.

Only had him one night. I'm not worried about it eating. Has lots of LR and I added a ton of pods from my DT sump. While many are difficult to get eating it most likely only has to do with how it was collected/handled and how long before it gets to your tank. Notice how fat and nice this fish looks. Chances are it was handled good and has spent very little time sitting in holding tanks.

On a side note I just weaned 3 orange spot filefish onto prepared foods which is why I felt comfortable giving this guy a go :)

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 11:56 AM
Is that why the bucket he's in, says "family size"?

Lol :p

Rea17
02/06/2014, 11:57 AM
Looks great, good luck with him. I always enjoy your new additions :)

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks rea

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 12:21 PM
Snaps from my web cam.

Allmost
02/06/2014, 12:26 PM
congrats, one of my all time fav fish.

Sugar Magnolia
02/06/2014, 01:39 PM
That's a beauty! Good luck with it!

RayL
02/06/2014, 01:40 PM
Beautiful fish, what is it?

It sounds like its difficult fish to keep, so best of luck

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 01:54 PM
Hey ray, why thank you.

Its a multibarred angelfish: Centropyge multifasciata

It is a fairly difficult fish to condition to captivity. My theory is they way they are handled and collected and how long they spend waisting away in holding tanks here and there before they hit the end owner. As you can see from my pics this fish was well handled and is about 5/8"thick lol. I would say its similar in needs to your bandit.

RayL
02/06/2014, 02:20 PM
It sounds like you are off to a great start with the fish, I hope he starts eating very soon for you.
Do you have an up to date stock list, you seem to have some very nice fish that can be delicate. I love hearing what other people have, it gives me new ideas for my system.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 02:34 PM
I hope so, just letting him settle and I might have caught a glimpse of him eating some brine. But can't say for sure.

Keep in mind these are not all in my DT lol. And being so inspired by Karen and the work previously don't by frank at rct a lot of these fish are for breeding projects.

1. Female bluethroat trigger
2. Tomini bristletooth tang
3. Potters Angel
4. African flameback angel
5. Yellow coris wrasse
6. Diamond goby
7. Tailspot blenny
8. M/f pair golden rhomboids wrasses
9. Trio m/f/f dispar anthias
10. Normal fire fish
11. Pair Blackfoot clowns
12. Pair snowflake clowns
13. Pair regular misbar ocillaris/Darwin
14. Chrysurus angel
15. Multibarred angel(soon pair or trio)
16. Trio of female orangespot filefish
17. Will be adding pair of flame angels in a week or two.
18. Waiting for a pair of golden dwarfs from DD and male orange spot file as well.

Lots more to go though :)

gobolts23
02/06/2014, 02:40 PM
awesome fish man. one of my all time favorites. i just have never been able to keep one past the year mark.

RayL
02/06/2014, 02:47 PM
I hope so, just letting him settle and I might have caught a glimpse of him eating some brine. But can't say for sure.

Keep in mind these are not all in my DT lol. And being so inspired by Karen and the work previously don't by frank at rct a lot of these fish are for breeding projects.

1. Female bluethroat trigger
2. Tomini bristletooth tang
3. Potters Angel
4. African flameback angel
5. Yellow coris wrasse
6. Diamond goby
7. Tailspot blenny
8. M/f pair golden rhomboids wrasses
9. Trio m/f/f dispar anthias
10. Normal fire fish
11. Pair Blackfoot clowns
12. Pair snowflake clowns
13. Pair regular misbar ocillaris/Darwin
14. Chrysurus angel
15. Multibarred angel(soon pair or trio)
16. Trio of female orangespot filefish
17. Will be adding pair of flame angels in a week or two.
18. Waiting for a pair of golden dwarfs from DD and male orange spot file as well.

Lots more to go though :)

Great list of fish. I wish I had an orange spot filefish, unfortunately they are too challenging. I will have to live vicariously through you, so don't forget to post pics from time to time.
I am hoping to find a golden dwarf angel as well, once I do, I will be replacing my Goldflake with it.
It's funny what Karen has done to this hobby, after seeing her pics and Teds pics of nice pairs, I had to get a pair of Bandits. Are you planning on breeding the pairs you have or do you just enjoy seeing a pair of fish?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks. Hopefully this guy becomes a good stud and by the end of this year can offer up some tb babies :)

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 02:58 PM
The first few fish are in my DT. The chrysurus is the last addition and I'm planning my 200-300 dt I plan on having up by Oct time.

The pairs are for breeding. I started breeding back in 2006/7 when I was 16. With the help of danu from seahorse I was able to acquire some beautiful erectus and reidi broodstock and was fairly successful rearing fry to sell to LFS etc.. Then a year or two later I got out and recently got back in about 1.5 years ago with my 120.

I'm hoping by years end to have some tb centropyge available at the very least have had a few larvae runs. Im fairly confident in my abilities im just getting up to speed on new culturing methods and equipment changes. My 120 has been nice to re familiarize myself with a the changes over the years.

Golden's are tricky, I'm 0/2. 1 from a LFS and one from dd. Both ate and I couldn't pin point cause of death. Just one day a few weeks after having them they were lethargic breathing odd on they're side's? Thinking cyanide ...

Ambition
02/06/2014, 03:14 PM
Word of advice with this species, once you get it eating, it should be fed 4-5x per day for at least two weeks to ensure it maintains it's weight. I had a pair back in November from Kevin Kohen and looking back that was his biggest suggestion. The first month is critical with new specimens which is why with my new pair (first pair past away from velvet) he is conditioning them for two months (he will also be doing his best to get mine on pellets).

How big is this specimen? Do you know where it was collected?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 04:03 PM
Tbh you kind of shot yourself in the foot starting your pair off with other fish as well. Velvet aside. From now on all new centropyge will be conditioned in a mini fowlr to ensure they eat before any treatment takes place unless its emergency treatment.

I appreciate your input and did follow your thread on your pair. He is around 3-4"

Also was going to say while dd is nice and has it's advantages they are not perfect. Already lost a golden from dd and look at the $400 regal that just bit it? I'm to the point id rather condition my fish from the get go.. Giving dd another shot on a golden pair though.

Ambition
02/06/2014, 05:25 PM
IME shy angels like this don't do well in QT on their own, and the other fish were being used as dithers. The fish were already QTd for months before hand having gone through a proactive treatment of Prazi and Copper.

DD does have some faults, but I wouldn't put the loss of Indo (this is where I have seen most if not all of their Golden's listed from) or Philippine collected fish on their end as the collection practices are very questionable.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 05:31 PM
Well we can agree to disagree yours didn't last long and velvet wasn't the only issue IMO. Also I've successfully qt'd a handful of centropyge. How many have you conditioned in qt? And ya indo/Philippines fish are questionable sometimes. Good luck with your next pair.

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 05:36 PM
Here. I doubt even if dd conditioned one for a year it would be this fat :)

peseifert
02/06/2014, 05:51 PM
did you get in in Mpls? if so, where?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 05:53 PM
If I told you I'd have to kill you. :)

peseifert
02/06/2014, 06:33 PM
ouch.
just shut down I-94 so I can't come over the border. but if it was one of the 2 stores near the airport, i'll fly in.
great fish. best of luck

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 06:43 PM
Lol

Thanks

ca1ore
02/06/2014, 10:40 PM
Very nice indeed! Have aspired to one for a while (sensible man's, or woman's, peppermint), but have not seen one yet in my LFS. Are they generally considered reef safe? OK, OK, I know, all angels are suspect, but is this on the Lemonpeel end of 'suspect'?

H.reidi.MN
02/06/2014, 10:50 PM
I would say they are the same risk as any centropyge

Magpies
03/23/2014, 10:31 AM
Hi I have a question about this multibar angel. I just got it for 2 weeks now and it hasn't shown like eating at all. I tried mysis, spirulina flakes, pellets, nori, cyclopeze and chopped clams. Lastly I tried live brine but I haven't seen it responding. The fish is only accompanied by algae blenny in a 90 gal tank with a good amount of liverock. So far it's been picking on the rock and glass. The LFS I got it from said that it's from the pacific region not philippine or indo. Any advised is greatly appreciated

albano
03/23/2014, 10:54 AM
Hi I have a question about this multibar angel. I just got it for 2 weeks now and it hasn't shown like eating at all. I tried mysis, spirulina flakes, pellets, nori, cyclopeze and chopped clams. Lastly I tried live brine but I haven't seen it responding. The fish is only accompanied by algae blenny in a 90 gal tank with a good amount of liverock. So far it's been picking on the rock and glass.
These angels are known to be difficult to adapt to 'tank life'... This is the reason that QT is recommended... Since it is already in your DT, I would recommend that you add lots of pods to your tank for him to hopefully survive on!

small alien
03/24/2014, 09:36 AM
Very pretty fish. Thanks for sharing.