PDA

View Full Version : The LFS Paradox

snorvich
02/07/2014, 07:51 AM
I see a fair number of people that watch perspective fish purchases at the LFS to determine if they are healthy. However, there are some problems with this strategy, what I call "The LFS Paradox".

1. Many LFS run a non-therapeutic dose of copper in their fish system. Sounds good, right? Actually, no. A low level of Copper will mask Velvet (which I have seen happen multiple times) and according to some, also ich (because I use Tank transfer, I have not seen this, but the source is reliable (thanks Peter)).

2. The presence of a parasite does not have to have visible symptoms

3. A parasite, once established, will have behavioral consequences, but how many know how to recognize those?

4. LFS have fish systems which share water and they are always getting new shipments. The longer a fish is at the LFS, the higher the probability it contracted a parasite or infection.

This is just an informational post. I am not trying to convince folks, just making people aware.

ca1ore
02/07/2014, 08:10 AM
I go back and forth on this. I QT all LFS fish, so to some degree whether a fish has an infestation or not generally does not matter all that much to me unless a fish is really lethargic. In a perfect world, my preferred strategy would be to buy most fish as soon as they arrive at my LFS, but I also want to make sure they are eating, and this can take a few days,