PDA

View Full Version : Help with high copper levels

Dable
02/09/2014, 03:53 AM
Hi there I have just started a rcs tank with couple bn catfish , I took the time to research and make sure I did everything properly , I cycled my tank and when ammonia and nitrite levels were zero and nitrate ( or vise versa) was slightly present I added the bn catfish then week later about half dozen rcs, my ph is around the 7-7.2 mark I have driftwood and some live plant and fake silky plants .. I have a corner filter , my tank is 10 g... I noticed that the shrimp were dying off till I was left with none , i took water sample in to lfs and everything was fantastic except high copper reading, I made a newbie error of using the tap water straight away instead of letting it run for 5 minutes first .. My lfs gave me some PURIT next gen chemical filter media to run in the filter and told me to do daily 70-80% water changes ( making sure I leave tap running for 5 minutes first) ..

I have few questions, first is will this eliminate the copper eventually?? Or atleast bring it down to minimal to house shrimp again?? If so how long will it take?? As I really want to get into the hobby but do it the right way I don't want to kill anymore shrimp..

2nd question is can the copper sink into or attach to my ornaments and gravel?? Do I need to throw it all out? Or sanitize it?? How do I go about that if I need to sanitize everything?? ..

Sorry for the long post I just want to b sure I do everything proper and want some advice from experienced ppl to help me enjoy the hobby

shifty51008
02/09/2014, 03:57 AM
this is a salt water forum, you will be better off asking these questions at a forum like monsterfishkeepers.com or another freshwater forum.

Dable
02/09/2014, 04:01 AM
Ok thanks alot