PDA

View Full Version : I think I need to change my dosing schedule: need help

tannersmith2000
02/09/2014, 07:24 AM
Hey

So I have an 80 gallon reef tank dominated by SPS colonies. I am using a Profilux doser and I am dosing approx 48ml of both Calcium and Alk using ESV calcium buffer system (1 gallon jugs). I dose 4ml of Ca once every odd hour and Alk once every even hour. This keeps my current parameters stable at:

Alk - 8.5 dKH (hanna)
Ca - 430 ppm (salifert)
pH - 8.2 during day (Apex)
pH - as low as 8.02 at night (Apex)

Here's where I need some advice.

My pH swings from 8.2 to 8.03 at night. I would like to keep my pH more stable. Would it be ok if I dose more at night and less during the day?

Can I increase my dose at night in order to stabilize pH and decrease my dose during the daylight hours?

Instead of dosing equal parts every other hour of 4 ml, can I dose...

Lights off at 10:30pm, so starting at 11pm add 8ml Ca and at 12am add 8ml Alk, at 1 am add 8 ml Ca and at 2 am add 8ml Alk etc

Does this sound like a correct approach in order to stabilize pH?

Thank you for the help!!!!

Tom39
02/09/2014, 07:59 AM
Do you have a fuge? Have you tried having those lights come on when the DT lights go out?

IMO, that swing is not that bad and unless it is causing some issue in your tank, I would not worry about it.

Just my $.02

tannersmith2000
02/09/2014, 08:11 AM
Do you have a fuge? Have you tried having those lights come on when the DT lights go out?

IMO, that swing is not that bad and unless it is causing some issue in your tank, I would not worry about it.

Just my $.02

Yeah I do have a fuge and I do not have any lights on it but I was not real sure if the swing was as bad as I was thinking. I am trying to be a stable as possible and I am getting there. My SPS are doing great because of it.

Pife
02/09/2014, 09:02 AM

Just my $.02

+1 on the light cycle.

Bilk
02/09/2014, 09:56 AM
Hey

So I have an 80 gallon reef tank dominated by SPS colonies. I am using a Profilux doser and I am dosing approx 48ml of both Calcium and Alk using ESV calcium buffer system (1 gallon jugs). I dose 4ml of Ca once every odd hour and Alk once every even hour. This keeps my current parameters stable at:

Alk - 8.5 dKH (hanna)
Ca - 430 ppm (salifert)
pH - 8.2 during day (Apex)
pH - as low as 8.02 at night (Apex)

Here's where I need some advice.

My pH swings from 8.2 to 8.03 at night. I would like to keep my pH more stable. Would it be ok if I dose more at night and less during the day?

Can I increase my dose at night in order to stabilize pH and decrease my dose during the daylight hours?

Instead of dosing equal parts every other hour of 4 ml, can I dose...

Lights off at 10:30pm, so starting at 11pm add 8ml Ca and at 12am add 8ml Alk, at 1 am add 8 ml Ca and at 2 am add 8ml Alk etc

Does this sound like a correct approach in order to stabilize pH?

Thank you for the help!!!!That ph swing is nothing to worry about. Pretty common and within normal bounds. Trying to chase a ph level will only create problems IMO. The only other way you can effectively stabilize ph from my experience is utilizing an ATS lighted on an opposite cycle from the tank.

tannersmith2000
02/09/2014, 11:13 AM
Ok

Thanks

I will try this and see how much it helps to stabilize pH

petere1989
02/09/2014, 11:16 AM
What I do is have my alk and calcium dose every hour all day long and my ph stays right at 8.4-8.5 and doesn't drop below that or go above that. Do you have an apex or programable dosing pump?