PDA

View Full Version : Coral id?

TonysReef
02/09/2014, 07:12 AM
Tanks been up for about a week..these guys popped out of no where264732

x1C0DE1x
02/09/2014, 08:11 AM
Those are defiantly a type of polyp. I have some that I bought with my green star polyps and I think they are starburst polyps. The purple is the base or the mat that they grow on. They grow really fast. Do you have sufficient lighting for coral? Such as a T5.

I posted a pic of mine a few months back.

TonysReef
02/09/2014, 08:20 AM
Those are defiantly a type of polyp. I have some that I bought with my green star polyps and I think they are starburst polyps. The purple is the base or the mat that they grow on. They grow really fast. Do you have sufficient lighting for coral? Such as a T5.

I posted a pic of mine a few months back.

i have the 29g biocube with the stock lighting, the location of where that coral is fairly high.

NanoReefWanabe
02/09/2014, 08:27 AM
that is a variety of green star polyp...likely a little bleached out from being buried in a vat of rock..i am sure it will colour up in no time...if it is up high in the tank it will in no time cover every rock in there...this species of coral is best left to grow on the back glass/ overflows or to grow out on a solitary rock in the sand bed...

x1C0DE1x
02/09/2014, 08:46 AM
I don't think that the coral looks bleached. I have had mine for 6 months and they have stayed the same color. My brown species are hairy looking while the green species is smooth. I don't think there is anything wrong with your coral.

ManEatingGuppy
02/09/2014, 08:23 PM
Encrusting gorgonian IMO.

x1C0DE1x
02/10/2014, 02:10 PM
Encrusting gorgonian IMO.

That's exactly what it is! I know mine was sold with GSP's and I have been told that they were a different species of GSP. You also helped me out also!

nuff40
02/10/2014, 04:03 PM
Anthelia. I have plenty and wish I had none. They will take over once they get going well. When removed, if even a small piece of flesh is left behind, they will re-grow. Some like them, some don't...Nice movement in the water, but.....