PDA

View Full Version : Sppedwave DC 1320 Failure

PMc
02/09/2014, 08:42 AM
Bought a speedwave DC 1320 last summer and put it into service in July. It failed last night. Electronics package seems to be OK but my ability to tell is limited. I disassemble what I could to look for a jam or other problem but it is clean. It was very quiet and pumped an adequate amount of water for my needs but six months of service is a disappointment. It looks like Premium Aquatics has removed them from their website. Just a heads up for anyone searching.

Mc

mcgyvr
02/09/2014, 08:47 AM
Got a voltmeter? Check the power supply for the proper output voltage (probably 24VDC..it will say on the power supply)

reefermike1
02/09/2014, 09:28 AM
I'll scratch that one off my list of candidates... thanks

scuzy
02/09/2014, 10:18 AM
Check the power supply is most likely the crappy PS.

PMc
02/09/2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a voltmeter. Do I know how to use it? Debatable. I have been nosing around on other forums and power supply failure seems to be a common problem. Most of those suggest the indicator lights will be off. My indicator lights are on.

One has know way of judging how many of these units are in existence or what the failure rate is but a quick google survey suggests that both power supply failure and motor block failure are very real possibilities. Most of us with problems are not technically capable enough to properly diagnose the problem. These units seem to be developing a poor reputation. I am unsure of my warranty situation with it about 6 months old but I am unsure that I want to replace it. I am thinking i should look for something more reliable. Any suggestions?

This unit was sold as a Speedwave DC 5000. I suppose that is in liters per hour. I added that to aid search function for the next guy. I am going to go tinker with a voltmeter. If I can make sense of it I will post results. Thanks.

Mc

Cbsailor11
02/09/2014, 03:19 PM
BRS shows the 1320 as having a 1yr warranty.They are still selling that pump.

PMc
02/09/2014, 04:10 PM
OK. Please forgive the lack of technical literacy and take this with a large grain of salt. My voltmeter shows approx 24 v coming out of the power supply. (I think we would have called that a transformer when I was a kid?) The transformed feeds into a control unit with the indicator lights. The feed coming from the control unit to the pump has three leads in a circular housing. There is an alignment "cog" built into the housing: One pin is to the left of the cog, one centered over it, and one to the right. The one on the left seems to be the common. I get voltage from left to right that does not seem to vary with controller setting. I get voltage from left to center that is damped down as the controller is dialed down and disappears when the "feed" mode is selected. My interpretation is that this is normal function and the problem is in the motor block. I think if I new more I could test the block with the same multimeter but I am stuck now unless I can find a simpler explanation of how to use the multimeter and what it is telling me. Thanks.

Mc

PMc
02/11/2014, 07:24 PM
Just to follow up. I spoke with Jeremy at Premium Aquatics and he recommended a Sicce Synchra 4.0. He is not currently recommending DC pumps short of a Red Dragon. It is difficult to tell but it appears the failure rate is high.

They had the Sicce in stock and it arrived at my front door 28 hrs after our conversation. That is the kind of service that makes me a customer for life.

Mc

rehype
03/25/2015, 07:01 PM
Just to add my DC1320 failed after 14 months