PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ich

Cozwey
02/09/2014, 12:11 PM
Can Ich live out of water on a dry surface?

Will running glassware thru a dishwasher ensure any contaminates are killed?

I am trying to keep 4 tanks clean and separate. I have tons of hoses and pumps and pails. We clean with RO and vinegar. Is this enough?
I am concerned with even using the same syringe for my refractometer.

Yesterday I rinsed and soaked a filter pad from my QT for several hours in RO vinegar water. Is this enough to kill any Ich?

MrTuskfish
02/09/2014, 12:26 PM
Dishwashers should work if you use the heated dry cycle. I've done this for years, but the stuff being cleaned has been sitting in a dry tub for a while. Why try to salvage a filter pad? Most are cheap. I use AquaClear filter sponges in my QT and used to rotate them; drying completely for weeks before using again. But now I just toss them. If RO copper water won't kill ich cysts, I doubt if vinegar water will.

Cozwey
02/09/2014, 12:32 PM
I just swapped the remaining fish I have in QT from my 55 to my 20 QT.
I need to clean the 55 now and I will be using RO and vinegar.
It is sitting empty and completely dry. I want to re establish it as a perm QT not an emergency QT.

I am hoping RO vinegar is enough with much rinsing.

As for the pads, well I am just cheap. I do have extra to use and if it is safest to toss em well then I guess I will.

MrTuskfish
02/09/2014, 01:27 PM
I just swapped the remaining fish I have in QT from my 55 to my 20 QT.
I need to clean the 55 now and I will be using RO and vinegar.
It is sitting empty and completely dry. I want to re establish it as a perm QT not an emergency QT.

I am hoping RO vinegar is enough with much rinsing.

As for the pads, well I am just cheap. I do have extra to use and if it is safest to toss em well then I guess I will.

Your plan should work; but all bets are off as soon as you add a fish to the QT. The chances of introducing ich (or whatever) are much higher with a fish than a piece of reasonably cleaned equipment. I don't think you need to go nuts insuring the sterility of the QT, its short lived. FWIW:I think permanent QT set ups are for folks who treat prophylacticly. I assume all new fish have parasites and treat accordingly; so the next fish should be ALMOST guaranteed a parasite free tank. This approach is hotly debated. The most important factor is preventing undesirables from making it to the DT. If a bug shows up, you want it in the QT, where it is easily treated.