PDA

View Full Version : Water changes, dosing and a stable dKh.

Napoleon I
02/09/2014, 03:30 PM
So I keep my tank around 8.5 dKh.I finally have my dosing close to what I think will keep it stable over the long term. I am all proud looking at my nice flat charts of dKh over time.
Then water change weekend arrives. And 12 of my 70 gallons gets replaced with nice new 11 dKh water.
How does everyone deal with this? Keep your tank dKh at the same as your salt mix? Is there any way to lower the dKh of fresh mixed water?
It seems whatever the answer is you would see it reoccur in postings about dosing and water changes. But so far I have not run across the topic.

Very interested in everyones input on this.

sunil6784
02/09/2014, 05:37 PM
The easiest would be to find a salt mix that matches your tank parameters, or use a mix a bit lower, and supplement to match your tank.

That being said, by changing 12 gallons of 70 with 11 dkh water yields about a .4 dkh rise in your tank... You could just stop dosing your alkalinity for a bit.

Uncle Salty 05
02/09/2014, 06:41 PM
I like to keep my tanks near 11 dKH.
I find that my PH stays higher and my corals like better than when I keep it lower.

AugustWest
02/09/2014, 07:41 PM
I have a very similar situation as you. 70 gallon tank I try to keep around 8.5dkh. I do 10 gallon water change weekly with Instant Ocean which is close to 11 dkh.

I have been turning my doser off and skipping a few dosings of 2 part on the day of the WC. Seems to be working ok but I have been considering switching to a lower Alk salt mix . Red Sea Regular salt is closer to the Alk we are shooting for.