PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer help

chopper320
02/09/2014, 02:57 PM
I have a bubble magus 3.5 nac skimmer. Never been super happy with the amount of skim but it always stayed pretty steady. I clean the pump and body about every 6 months and usually don't notice much difference. Just a basic water and toothbrush cleaning.

About a month ago I cleaned everything. Maybe a little more thoroughly than usual. I got a longer brush and cleaned out a bunch of tube worms that had been growing in the skimmer body.

Since the cleaning I can't get this skimmer to perform right at all. I always kept the outlet tubed dialed to 2.5 before but now it overflows at that setting so I have to keep it at about 3.5 and that keeps the bubbles about half way up the neck. The bubbles do not seem as dense as they were before either.

The main issues though are that it is much more moody just sticking my hand in the water can cause it to go nuts and sometimes with no explanation at all it will just overflow. It is also spitting out way more micro bubbles than it did before which are making their way thru my baffle system and into the tank.

I've taken the pump apart and reassembled a few times and can't find any issues. Any suggestions?

chopper320
02/09/2014, 07:19 PM
Anyone?

chopper320
02/09/2014, 07:52 PM
Well I think I figured it out. The shaft is broken. Now I need to decide if I'm going to replace it or upgrade skimmers.

leadsinker
02/09/2014, 08:25 PM
you can try getting a ceramic, titanium shaft at a hobby shop, remote control cars axles

chopper320
02/09/2014, 09:51 PM
I may just use this as an excuse to upgrade my skimmer. I think this was a little undersized for my setup anyway