PDA

View Full Version : Question about water parameters!!

thatreefguy22
02/09/2014, 05:59 PM
Exactly what the title states.
My water parameters the last two days, I have a small zoa frag colony (10 heads) and one stalk frag of a green torch coral I got on friday.

Last night, I tested my water and here is what I got:

temp-80F
SG-1.026
Mg-1160ppm
Ca-495ppm
dKH-10.2dKH
pH-8.1

I then prepped water for tonight's water change, about 20% water change.
Did all the cleaning I normally do when doing water changes (blow the rocks and some of the sand to kick up dirt/poo/food. cleaned glass, that's about it)

After doing so, I got my vials filled with the correct amounts of water to be tested. I then begin testing start with Mg and end with Alk. (I note, I'm using the Red sea reef foundation test kit.)
Ca, I ran out of the full 1.0ml titration solution until I had to refill the syringe with another 1.0ml. I used 0.85 out of 2.0ml. (2.0ml - 0.85 = 1.15, +0.01ml= 5ppm Ca) After I did that math, I came up with 575ppm of calcium.

Here's what I got tonight for test results:

temp- 80F
SG- 1.025
Mg- 1540ppm
Ca- 575ppm
dKH- 10.6dKH

This is right after the WC, maybe that's why the numbers are so high...but are they 'TOO' high? or will they suffice?

Thanks for any reply! all are welcome to answer to the best of their knowledge...plus on who gives me the best thorough answer :)

Thanks a lot everyone :)

julie180
02/09/2014, 06:25 PM
Probably nothing to worry about. Are you testing for phosphate and nitrates?

acabgd
02/09/2014, 06:31 PM
Actually, I would be a little worried. First, check that you're properly using the tests. Although I'm using RedSea for nitrate and phosphate, I'm not familiar with their Ca and Mg tests.

I would be concerned with such large swings in parameters. Changing 20% water is a bit on the high side (10-15% is usual), but even then the numbers should not swing that much. Any more sensitive coral or invert would have a problem with Mg swinging from 1160 to 1540, or Ca from 495 to 575ppm within a day.

This is certainly not as damaging as kH swinging that much %-wise per day, yet I would say it's too much and I would either lower the amount of water changed, or double check my testing procedure. The suggested max variation in Mg amount is 40ppm/day, yet you're swinging almost 10 times that much. Doesn't mean it will hurt anything you currently have in your tank, but if you venture into more sensitive organisms you will certainly have problems.

thatreefguy22
02/09/2014, 06:36 PM
Probably nothing to worry about. Are you testing for phosphate and nitrates?

I do test nitrates, but I have to update my kit for that. I'm still using my api nitrate solution...lol. I'm probably going to pick up the red sea nitrate/phosphate test kit.

But, to let you know, I have little to no algae blooms other than the occasional diatoms. I only keep 2 turbo snails right now.

thatreefguy22
02/09/2014, 06:42 PM
Actually, I would be a little worried. First, check that you're properly using the tests. Although I'm using RedSea for nitrate and phosphate, I'm not familiar with their Ca and Mg tests.

I would be concerned with such large swings in parameters. Changing 20% water is a bit on the high side (10-15% is usual), but even then the numbers should not swing that much. Any more sensitive coral or invert would have a problem with Mg swinging from 1160 to 1540, or Ca from 495 to 575ppm within a day.

This is certainly not as damaging as kH swinging that much %-wise per day, yet I would say it's too much and I would either lower the amount of water changed, or double check my testing procedure. The suggested max variation in Mg amount is 40ppm/day, yet you're swinging almost 10 times that much. Doesn't mean it will hurt anything you currently have in your tank, but if you venture into more sensitive organisms you will certainly have problems.

Makes sense to me, thank you.

I'll just stick to 2 gallons (about 10%) I don't actually know the water volume I'm using for my tank. I have a sump with about ~5 gallons. so my estimate on water Vol. in my tank will have to be, about 25 gallons.

And, I know I'm using the kit right, I follow the cards all the time just to be sure. :)

Thanks again, I guess I'm going to have to pay more attention to my water changes and how much I do. I don't plan on staying with this 20L forever, I will upgrade and do SPS/LPS mixed.