PDA

View Full Version : Slip by slip or thread by thread bulkhead

Recliner
02/10/2014, 08:18 AM
My new 150 gallon tank has 2 holes drilled in the center overflow (and no room for any more to be drilled) They are 1.75" & 1.5"
I'm planning on using the 1.5" for the return and having a hoofer gurgle buster on the drain for the 1.75"
The bulkheads I have are thread by thread. When I add the bulkheads and the PVC needed it shrinks the opening by a lot! The smallest part of the drain is 7/8" inside diameter and the return is 5/8" inside diameter. (Picture shows the threaded/barb adapters that are the smallest point)

Would switching to a slip by slip bulkhead allow the openings to be bigger? I have a waveline dc 5000 return pump & would like to have about 1,000 gph flowing through it. Can they handle that much?

DjScRiBbLe
02/10/2014, 08:35 AM
Ditch the barb first thing.

Next go with slip x thread. Slip inside overflow and thread outside. Yes there is possibly leas restrictions and with threaded on the outside its easily removable or you can change your plumbing on a whim.

Recliner
02/10/2014, 09:23 AM
Got a link? I think I'm only finding the opposite. Inside my overflow I want the slip right? And then on the part that sticks out the bottom of the tank I want threaded?

ca1ore
02/10/2014, 09:33 AM
Barb fittings do restrict the flow significantly. I sometimes use them on a pressure/return line but never on a drain line. Better alternatives are the standard 3/4" and 1" PVC male adapters. They will still thread into the bulkheads, but will not reduce the inside diameter as much as a barb fitting.

Running 1,000 gallons per hour through a single 1" bulkhead drain is really pushing things - it may not even be possible. Your proposed pump may lose more than you think through a 3/4" bulkhead, so perhaps it will work, but you may find you need to restrict pump output.

FWIW, 1,000 gallons through the sump per hour for a 150 gallon tank is more than you really need - half of that would suffice, as long as you have some kind of intank glow device.

DjScRiBbLe
02/10/2014, 10:13 AM
Check bulk reef supply under plumbing and bulkheads they have everything you need :).

Also 1000gph through sump is around 6.5x turnover so you can dial back and be safe around 4-5x turnover and around 800-900 gph.

Recliner
02/10/2014, 11:01 AM
Ok, I found them thanks. My waveline return pump is controllable so I'll have no problem running it at whatever speed I want. I'm also going to "T" off the 3/4 return to run my uv sterilizer and gfo reactor

DjScRiBbLe
02/10/2014, 11:12 AM
If your going to T maybe run 1" to the T to restrict even less before you split.