PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water vs. tap water

yusor
02/10/2014, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone ,

Since there are no RO/DI units in the whole country ..

which is better tap or drinking water ?
I guessed it would be drinking water but the expertise in the shop I deal with told me that I must use tap water as drinking water is harmful for marine..

what to do ?

Thanks

fishn49ers
02/10/2014, 12:45 PM
I would get a sample of each water and get it tested for TDS, im not sure someone else would have to chime in.

MTF7
02/10/2014, 12:51 PM
Test for TDS but most importantly test for copper just to be safe incase you are keeping corals

Sugar Magnolia
02/10/2014, 01:00 PM
What country are you in? No way to ship from an international supplier?

If you have access to distilled water, that would be a better option than either tap or drinking water.

yusor
02/10/2014, 01:10 PM
sugar , no it's not possible at this time.
I live in Saudi Arabia :(

test copper in drinking or tap water ? .. it's not possible that drinking water have high levels of copper right?

MrTuskfish
02/10/2014, 01:18 PM

I'm sure that the water quality of any of your choices is better than the Olympic sites in Russia are using.

disc1
02/10/2014, 02:07 PM

test copper in drinking or tap water ? .. it's not possible that drinking water have high levels of copper right?

What is perfectly safe levels of copper for human consumption could be lethal to your inverts.

You really need to check the water out. And contrary to what some people believe the TDS number isn't going to tell you much. 50ppb of copper is enough to kill every invert in your tank but that will show up as 0 on most all TDS meters.

All that said, I've seen a few beautiful reef aquariums from Saudi Arabia. I know it can be done. How far are you from the sea? Would natural seawater be an option for you?

yusor
02/10/2014, 02:20 PM
disc1 :
it is an option , but not always ( water changes I mean ) , so I have to figure out another way.

another q :
I have hermits, snails, anemone .. all of them are doing great .. doesn't that mean that the water is good ?

MTF7
02/10/2014, 06:00 PM
Just a wild though could you use rain water?

mbingha
02/10/2014, 06:12 PM
Just a wild though could you use rain water?

Ever heard of acid rain?
Just one of the many reasons I wouldn't use rain water.