PDA

View Full Version : Hippos, carbon, and HLLE

krzyphsygy
02/10/2014, 06:01 PM
Anyone keeping a hippo tang while running carbon in a reactor or filter sock ? If so does your hippo have hlle ?

whosurcaddie
02/10/2014, 07:23 PM
Are you using lignite carbon? You might want to read this article.(Its long)

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

krzyphsygy
02/10/2014, 08:07 PM
Great Read...thank you!!!

JoelA7
02/10/2014, 08:32 PM
Attended a Boston Reefers meeting Saturday and our speaker - curator of Ocean Explorium (public aquarium in New Bedford) also supports the thought that activated carbon causes lateral line.

Lostinthedark
02/10/2014, 08:39 PM
I have used fluval carbon 24/7 for years and my Hippo is a perfect specimen. I think it has more to do with poor environment and nutrition. They say Hippos do much better in a reef as opposed to a FO.

ca1ore
02/10/2014, 09:04 PM
Look, I don't dismiss the possibility than using carbon can be a contributing factor for HLLE, but I have seen too many tanks running carbon with perfectly healthy hippos for it to be THE primary factor. I run my tank with carbon 24/7 and my hippo has no sign of it.

whosurcaddie
02/11/2014, 04:46 AM
Well in the experiment they ran not all the tangs in the tanks that were running carbon got HLLE but 50% of them did. The tank without carbon resulted in zero episodes of HLLE. It was a controlled experiment. So its safe to say it can cause HLLE but its not 100% going to happen.

downbeach
02/11/2014, 05:34 AM
I have used GAC for many years without any visible lesions on any of my tangs, or any other fish for that matter, including the Regal. I do however use ROX 0.8 as my carbon, and reverse the flow through my reactor to minimize any movement and rinse it thoroughly when I add it by running the discharge to an external bucket until it runs clear.
I think stress can have a detrimental/causative affect. So, it would be prudent to make sure your systems environment is capable of maintaining whatever species you're interested in keeping, starting with a properly sized tank.

Indiana Reefin
02/11/2014, 09:38 AM
I am scared to run carbon now. I was planning on running carbon on my 36 gallon elos. I don't have any tangs obviously but I would hate to risk giving it to any other fish. I was just going to keep carbon in my filter sock from the drain of my skimmer. Very little flow. My main purpose was to keep carbon running to prevent chemical warfare between my zoas and lps. Should I just run it one day a week after my water changes? Or should I not run it at all?

ca1ore
02/11/2014, 10:48 AM
Carbon is an important part of my overall filtration approach, and I'd not be without it. I do think it is good practice to run it in such way that no fines get into your display however. I run it in a dedicated reactor, and feed the output through a polyfilter, refugium, and then the skimmer.

krzyphsygy
02/11/2014, 12:26 PM
Well in the experiment they ran not all the tangs in the tanks that were running carbon got HLLE but 50% of them did. The tank without carbon resulted in zero episodes of HLLE. It was a controlled experiment. So its safe to say it can cause HLLE but its not 100% going to happen.

Actually the experiment in tank 1 showed 100 percent hlle , Pelletized carbon in tank 2 showed no visible signs, but under a microscope all the tangs had it.

indyjaco
02/11/2014, 12:40 PM
In my tank, I noticed HLLE form on my hippo while using the ignite carbon, it has slowly diminished with the ROX BRS stuff.

I think the ignite was so dusty it would get in the water after i didn't rinse it enough.

my .02

Indiana Reefin
02/11/2014, 03:10 PM
What about marine land brand?

slgcmg
02/11/2014, 03:24 PM
marine land has tons of dust, I will never buy that brand again. I literally spend 30 minutes rinsing off the dust. The more I read on it, the more I believe it has to do with carbon not being thoroughly rinsed prior to placing it in the tank

Indiana Reefin
02/11/2014, 03:32 PM
Okay good to know. Glad I saw this thread I was just about to add carbon to my filter sock on my tank. I will buy some different kind of carbon probably from bulk reef supply