PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a 500 gallon

marcaharding
02/10/2014, 10:07 PM
Alright guys, I am new started last year with a 55 gallon and it has taught me so much, I wanted to upgrade to a 180, but found a deal on a 500 gallon and purchased it on the spot after talking with a couple people. I am planning the tear down and build now and will be doing this next weekend. If there is anyone in the charlotte nc area that may want to help please let me know. I will be posting pictures of the tear down and build as soon as i can

SS_Sean
02/11/2014, 12:48 AM
Post lots of pics and info.... beautiful tank. What kind of setup are you going with?

thenewguy997
02/11/2014, 05:46 AM
Someday i hope to have that size tank.... god, imagine the things you could do with it!

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 06:31 AM
The tank is currently set up and running with over 15 different fish including an angel and over 9 different types of tangs, clown fish and several others that I am sure are there but hiding. The DP has over 1000 pounds of live rock with 5 power heads, the sump is a 190 gallon with live rock with a huge protein skimmer. I plan on adding the apex system to monitor and I am currently in the process of setting up two 275 gallon totes for a rodi and saltwater storage near the tank so it will be easier to perform water changes and auto top offs. It has a killer LED system that just makes you say WOW. The pictures do not do this tank justice and when I actually saw it, I was in shock as to the size and beauty of the tank. I feel so lucky that my wife is letting me take over the garage and turn it into a man cave. I also have schedule an appointment for a company to come out and install a generator in case we ever loose power to allow the tank to stay running at all times

Lostinthedark
02/11/2014, 06:48 AM
Now that's an upgrade!

r2odie
02/11/2014, 07:15 AM
Awesome upgrade!! Good luck! Looking forward to lots of pictures.

Johnnycat
02/11/2014, 08:26 AM
So cool on so many levels!

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:16 AM
The tank will stay a fowlr, I am going to make my 55 a coral tank. Yes I realize how much time and money I am going to spend. I have horses so I work at home everyday and I have enough in my budget for what I am doing. I have thought this out for some time now and have the room plus resources so hopefully things go well but i know it's not easy and it's going to take a lot of time so that's why I'm going to the apex and maybe some more systems to help monitor the tank

BrianD
02/11/2014, 09:23 AM
Post removed. Some people have no common courtesy. I am sorry, marcahading. Congratulations on your new tank.

indyjaco
02/11/2014, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the pickup. What are the dimensions?

Dozer1one
02/11/2014, 09:25 AM
[
It's easier to keep larger systems stable than smaller. I started in this hobby around 8 years ago with a 70 gal oceanic tank and went from that to a 220 within 6 months now I keep upwards of 1000 gal total in systems big and small tanks, fish, mixed reef, propagation tanks, fuges and build custom tanks on the side. So you would be correct in saying his build can get very expensive but once he fills this giant with liverock and saltwater, ( which I think will be the most difficult part) it's just a waiting game as his smaller tank once was. Do your research and plan ahead and you'll be just fine, if I can get this tapatalk sh!!to work correctly I'll post some pics and hopefully you'll get some ideas for your own large system. Good luck and happy reefing

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:27 AM
The complete stand/tank is 8.5 long 9 high and 3 deep, the tank is 8 long 3 high and 2.5 deep

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:29 AM
Thanks Brian D, everyone always has an opinion and we are all lucky to live in a country where we can all have an opinion but I do agree, use it where it is warranted.

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:31 AM
I am transferring everything including the water and a local lfs is going to houses the critters for about a week until the levels are ok.

ken6217
02/11/2014, 09:34 AM
Great upgrade. I wish I was down that way. Would love to help and play along.

Honestly though you should be able to get the help you need on RC. Just ask the questions. Some of them you may want to post in Lighting and Equipment forum.

Don't be overwhelmed by the size. The process and equipment is the same as on a 55 gallon. Just bigger.

Ken

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:47 AM
I have around six guys helping and the lfs is gonna come and get the fish and take them, I have two new 275 gallon tanks to move the water and two big uhaul tralors along with a 16ft trailer the water totes will be on. The stand come part easy and it's just a matter of taking it all down. When I get to the house, it is goin in the garage that I am turning into a man cave den this week and I'm gonna back up to and unload and put it back together and fill it up. I am only using 50% of the original water and am in the process of making water now so that I can finish filling it up. I have already spoken with the lfs that installed the tank and all the equipment is good so I should be fine there. If something breaks then I will just have to replace it lol

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 09:51 AM
It's like they say with pets, if you can't afford to care for them don't get them, I lucky that I can afford this and if in anyway shape or form I could not afford it I certainly would not be getting it

slowjazz
02/11/2014, 09:57 AM
Post removed. Some people have no common courtesy. I am sorry, marcahading. Congratulations on your new tank.

Really? So are you going to remove all the posts from people who come down hard on new people who put too many tangs in a tank? Or jump into fish and coral too fast? (example - they put fish in before a cycle)

I didn't come down on him. I even told him good luck. We are all in this to enjoy the field.

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 10:03 AM
Just so you know slow jazz, the tangs have been together for 2 years and I seen for myself that they do very well together. It's just like people, some people do not mix well and others do. Maybe these guys are great together. I do respect your opinion and don't pass judgement. There is always a better way to do something, but it's not like I'm going out and starting with this. I will always protect the fish, this is why my local lfs is going to take the fish and I'm not throwing them straight in the tank.

slowjazz
02/11/2014, 10:06 AM
Just so you know slow jazz, the tangs have been together for 2 years and I seen for myself that they do very well together. It's just like people, some people do not mix well and others do. Maybe these guys are great together. I do respect your opinion and don't pass judgement. There is always a better way to do something, but it's not like I'm going out and starting with this. I will always protect the fish, this is why my local lfs is going to take the fish and I'm not throwing them straight in the tank.

I was not talking about your fish. The tank you have is more then enough for your fish. I was talking about posts from other people. Just look around reef and new forums and you will see alot of negitive to down right ulgy posts from people who come down on 'new' people for not reading up before buying things or moving too fast.

albano
02/11/2014, 10:27 AM
I am transferring everything including the water

If you're planning to take as much water as possible, then you must drain it out before you 'disturb' the rocks or sand...
I'd guess that you should be prepared to make over 100g of new saltwater to fill the system once you have moved it.

erickcooper
02/11/2014, 10:41 AM
Now that's an upgrade!

slowjazz
02/11/2014, 11:55 AM
If you're planning to take as much water as possible, then you must drain it out before you 'disturb' the rocks or sand...
I'd guess that you should be prepared to make over 100g of new saltwater to fill the system once you have moved it.

+1

Lots of buckets and make sure you bring a few heaters. The move will cool the water. You want to try to bring the temp up as best you can. It is a little easier to bring smaller groups of water up to the correct them then one big tank.

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 04:46 PM
I am making 275 gallons of saltwater now, I have two 275 containers that I am going to use to drain the system with after I remove the fish but prior to removing the 1000 pounds of live rock and sand bed.

EllieSuz
02/11/2014, 05:06 PM
Congratulations on this great buy! A lot of us are envious, so we'll want to see your progress. Gorgeous stand, by the way.

danil
02/11/2014, 05:36 PM
Congrats! That's awesome tank.

oceanbchbby
02/11/2014, 05:39 PM
Wow very impressive, cannot wait for pictures

marcaharding
02/11/2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I will definitely keep a time lapse and please keep chiming in with suggestions as there is no one that knows everything and we all can learn from each other to make this hobby fun and not a discouragement.

SS_Sean
02/11/2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks so much everyone, I will definitely keep a time lapse and please keep chiming in with suggestions as there is no one that knows everything and we all can learn from each other to make this hobby fun and not a discouragement.

:beer:

Rob0910
02/12/2014, 03:04 AM
Wow. Great tank. Good luck with the move!

marcaharding
02/24/2014, 05:36 AM
wanted to get some pics up of the move, will add more this afternoon and all what and how we did it.

marcaharding
02/24/2014, 05:39 AM
some extra pics

cakemanPA
02/24/2014, 06:43 AM
Very nice! How is everything doing?

marcaharding
02/24/2014, 07:16 AM
Everything and everyone is doing great only lost one fish through the move

cakemanPA
02/24/2014, 08:50 AM
Excellent...

reeferstace
02/24/2014, 10:33 AM
The complete stand/tank is 8.5 long 9 high and 3 deep, the tank is 8 long 3 high and 2.5 deep

This would be ~449 gallons.

This is a really nice tank and I hope you have much success with it. :)

What kind of fish specifically will go in it?

Reel North
02/24/2014, 10:53 AM
i
am
jealous

SWEET!

BigCountry74
02/24/2014, 01:57 PM
I think I saw that tank on CL? Good stuff man, that's a monster. Hopefully it will not break the wallet if you go full reef! :D

Gashauler
02/24/2014, 02:50 PM
that is really sweet!!! I can only hope to have a setup like that one day!!!!

marcaharding
02/24/2014, 04:12 PM
fish in currently are
2 powder blue tangs
1 very large blue tang
1 powder brown tang
1 orange shoulder tang
1 yellow tang
6 different types of clown fish
1 porcupine puffer
1 green manderine
4 choc star fish
1 red and white starfish

I would like to get a blue throat trigger and a couple more but not many, the tank will be a fowlr tank so no corals and the sump I am adding alot of plants to

marcaharding
02/24/2014, 04:15 PM
yes this is the one that was on craigslist of charlotte a few weeks ago

danil
02/24/2014, 05:46 PM
sweet!

StevieD
02/24/2014, 05:56 PM
This would be ~449 gallons.

This is a really nice tank and I hope you have much success with it. :)

What kind of fish specifically will go in it?

Theres always "that" guy at every party lol

reeferstace
02/24/2014, 06:11 PM
Not a guy but nice try. :)

Tamarae
02/24/2014, 08:50 PM
That looks so amazing - I'd love to have a house big enough for an 8.5 ft tank. I hope you'll post pictures along the way!

slgcmg
02/24/2014, 08:54 PM
In my Napoleon dynamite voice, "lucky"

Rensmif
02/24/2014, 09:17 PM
Alright guys, I am new started last year with a 55 gallon and it has taught me so much, I wanted to upgrade to a 180, but found a deal on a 500 gallon and purchased it on the spot after talking with a couple people.

that's a lot of tank, and a BIG move from a 55 to a 500 gallon, lot of work, a water change can be an investment:lmao: a lot more humidity from evaporation, in the house, more heat, well a lot more of everything, it can also add up to a lot of pleasure for you and the family as well.

I wish you well with it. It is probably better that you are going to stay FOWLR for the near future, a 500 gallon reef can be quite expensive to maintain properly. Good luck with it for sure and keep the pictures coming.