PDA

View Full Version : No LPS Tanks of the Month?

brad
02/11/2014, 12:31 PM
I just went through almost 5 years of TOTM's on reefkeeping. Almost everything is spectacular, but also very similar, bright light, about 200 gallons, high current, Acropora dominated. These are wonderful tanks, and I may even move my tank in this direction now that LEDs make it affordable. But all the tanks look very similar and would look empty if all the Acropora was removed. Exceptions were 2 Nonphotosynthetic tanks, and 1 tank that was mostly Acans. Euphylia, Catalaphyllia and leather corals were present in a few tanks, but almost never talked about or featured in photos. The SPS forum on here even has an "Best tanks from around the world" thread with 41 pages, of again, mostly Acropora.

Are there any "World Class" tanks that are mostly LPS? If so, I'd appreciate a link.

leveldrummer
02/11/2014, 01:59 PM
tagging along. would love to see this go somewhere.

cmof29
02/11/2014, 02:52 PM
I've always wondered the same thing. Tagging along.

Allmost
02/11/2014, 03:03 PM
LPS keepers keep fragging ?

I would love to see some LPS dominated tanks, so far mostly I see small frags here and there in LPS tanks.

there has also been zoa dominated tank I recall. but yea no LPS dominated.

so lets get some pics up in here ...

slgcmg
02/12/2014, 12:34 AM
Tagging along to. I've got tons of Lps in my tank. I will start posting some pics

My avatar has like 5 in it.

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 01:02 AM
along the NP tanks and the acan tank lines. I personally love species-specific tanks. Which, in the case of LPS, make for an awesome devotion, practice, and possibility. so if anyone out there has a tank full of nothin but duncans or Euphyllia, etc., bring those pics too (if i may add to the thread in this direction).

I just truly believe that a very natural looking volume of water (about the volume of our tanks) in the ocean often can hold solely one type of coral, and replicating that is awesome.

brad
02/12/2014, 07:51 AM
along the NP tanks and the acan tank lines. I personally love species-specific tanks. Which, in the case of LPS, make for an awesome devotion, practice, and possibility. so if anyone out there has a tank full of nothin but duncans or Euphyllia, etc., bring those pics too (if i may add to the thread in this direction).

I just truly believe that a very natural looking volume of water (about the volume of our tanks) in the ocean often can hold solely one type of coral, and replicating that is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwut9cSwMU

This might actually be part of the reason SPS tanks are so popular. In nature, you have areas of the reef that are mostly Acropora, with many types in a small area with a few gorgonians and soft corals mixed in. Catalaphyllia is solitary, and Euphyllia grows in large colonies.

jorjef
02/12/2014, 09:19 PM
I posted this close to two years ago, a lot has changed some I still has some are gone but I'm still all LPS..... Well with a few stragglers of softies etc.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/jorjef/fulltank003.jpg[/QUOTE]