PDA

View Full Version : Too many fish help?

MMacro
02/11/2014, 11:54 PM
Is this too many fish for a 75 gallon reef tank?
I already have the: Fire fish, diamond watchman, clownfish, green chromis, one cleaner shrimp, the snails, and the hermit crabs.

Fire fish goby
Green Chromis
Clownfish x2
Diamond watchman goby
flame angel
Lawnmower blenny
Barletts Anthias Fish x2
melanurus wrasse
Cleaner shrimp x2
Hermit crab x10
Snails x10
Frogspawn, polyps
Bubble tip anemone

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 12:00 AM
The fire fish is likely to disappear with the flame angel and green chromis in there (which will also not be a very good host to newcomers)....not die necessarily, just hide all the time. the wrasse may also. you better have a LOT of algae for the lawnmower blenny (unless you get lucky and buy one that eats nori)

the anthias need to eat a LOT (not at once, throughout the day....i feed mine 4 different times daily, 5 times at least once a week) so be prepared to remove uneaten food and keep your water in check.

but in the end....is it too many, no.

whosurcaddie
02/12/2014, 12:01 AM
The corals don't have a bio load. You can have as much coral as you wish. The green chromis wont be happy alone you should have at least three its a shoaling fish.

That amount seems fine though. Get a good skimmer.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 12:01 AM
The fire fish is likely to disappear with the flame angel and green chromis in there (which will also not be a very good host to newcomers)....not die necessarily, just hide all the time. the wrasse may also. you better have a LOT of algae for the lawnmower blenny (unless you get lucky and buy one that eats nori)

the anthias need to eat a LOT (not at once, throughout the day....i feed mine 4 different times daily, 5 times at least once a week) so be prepared to remove uneaten food and keep your water in check.

but in the end....is it too many, no.

So I should cross the flame angel and blenny of the list? I have no algae at all in the tank. If so, can I replace the flame angel with a coral beauty?

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 12:02 AM
If i were you, i would consider trading the chromis back to the lfs, and try to keep a peaceful community tank. but that means no clowns, no flame, and anthias are iffy. check some of the better respected websites for "peaceful" fish.

you can also check your fish purchases first, here, in the stickies.

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 12:03 AM
If you have no algae naturally growing, scratch the blenny. it will almost certainly die.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 12:15 AM
If i were you, i would consider trading the chromis back to the lfs, and try to keep a peaceful community tank. but that means no clowns, no flame, and anthias are iffy. check some of the better respected websites for "peaceful" fish.

you can also check your fish purchases first, here, in the stickies.

What other fish are compatible with the ones that I have now? Being the clownfish, goby, firefish, and chromis. Im also not a fan of bringing fish back to my lfs.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 12:18 AM
The corals don't have a bio load. You can have as much coral as you wish. The green chromis wont be happy alone you should have at least three its a shoaling fish.

That amount seems fine though. Get a good skimmer.

Would they get along with other fish?

MMacro
02/12/2014, 12:46 AM
Ok heres the new list:
Fire fish goby
Green Chromis
Clownfish x2
Diamond watchman goby
Wrasse
Yellow tang
Reef safe butterfly fish (If you know one please let me know) maybe a Mertensii?
2 cardinal fish
Cleaner shrimp x2
Hermit crab x10
Snails x10
Frogspawn, polyps
Bubble tip anemone

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 12:57 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112&highlight=fish+purchases

check here first. fish only. the mod only responds to fish compatibility, not inverts.

but i'll tell ya right now, the yellow tang is a no no...you'll have the tang police on your back til the cows come home. butterfly fish.....iffy at best. cardinal fish are awesome though, just buy tank-bred as they are one of the greatest controversial fish our hobby can really help save in the long run. there is a ton of good reading out there about them. i personally am trying to raise the brood and am due here on the 19-24ish to have a second attempt.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 12:58 AM
I would get the blenny still, they have great personalities, i have never had one that wouldnt eat dry or frozen foods, also the ones i did have wouldnt even look at hair algae. I actually think your 1st list looks fine but you will wanna watch out for the angel and corals and also the anthis do need to be fed a few times a day.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 01:05 AM
And just as a refrence here is what i have in my 75 gal.

1 yellow tang
1 choc tang
2 breeding clowns which i have raised the fry
1 bang. cardinal
1 green chromis
1 6 line wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
2 anthis
1 yellow head goby

All get along great, tang police can shove it lol these tangs are of the smaller variety and are very healthy. I do have an over sized skimmer and have no nitrate or phosphate issues and i feed 5 times a day.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 01:24 AM
And just as a refrence here is what i have in my 75 gal.

1 yellow tang
1 choc tang
2 breeding clowns which i have raised the fry
1 bang. cardinal
1 green chromis
1 6 line wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
2 anthis
1 yellow head goby

All get along great, tang police can shove it lol these tangs are of the smaller variety and are very healthy. I do have an over sized skimmer and have no nitrate or phosphate issues and i feed 5 times a day.

Yea, I have seen many yellow tangs in 75 gallon and even under and they are very healthy. Nice variety of livestock btw.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 01:26 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112&highlight=fish+purchases

check here first. fish only. the mod only responds to fish compatibility, not inverts.

but i'll tell ya right now, the yellow tang is a no no...you'll have the tang police on your back til the cows come home. butterfly fish.....iffy at best. cardinal fish are awesome though, just buy tank-bred as they are one of the greatest controversial fish our hobby can really help save in the long run. there is a ton of good reading out there about them. i personally am trying to raise the brood and am due here on the 19-24ish to have a second attempt.

All right, ill take the butterfly fish off and get a few cardinals. I like their looks and personality. Anything else I should know before I add the rest of the fish?

robotman
02/12/2014, 01:26 AM
I have flame angel and blue hippo tang in my 55 also have a mandarin with 3 clowns, cant catch the maroon clown he hides to much. but no fish fatalities and my tank has been running 9 months soothe sailing besides the couple of coral deaths.

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 01:35 AM
I would get the blenny still, they have great personalities, i have never had one that wouldnt eat dry or frozen foods, also the ones i did have wouldnt even look at hair algae. I actually think your 1st list looks fine but you will wanna watch out for the angel and corals and also the anthis do need to be fed a few times a day.

I have not been so lucky with lawnmowers eating prepared food....but that's the beauty of this hobby...what works for some doesnt for others.

and again, in regards to the tangs and angels and such.....what works for some doesnt for others. i personally just dont think there is any reason to doubt the mass majority when it comes to what is appropriate for certain species. long term success is the ultimate goal right....for the fish, not for the owner.

Good luck, have fun. learn. that's what this all about.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 01:35 AM
Try to find a mated pair of cardinals, if you do get a few once there is a pair formed they will kill the others, this is why i only have 1 in my tank, i can never find a mate for it and always have to pull the new one out lol.

There are a few reef safe butterflies but they are not the colorful ones your used to seeing with butterflies.

Reefer54
02/12/2014, 01:37 AM
Try to find a mated pair of cardinals, if you do get a few once there is a pair formed they will kill the others, this is why i only have 1 in my tank, i can never find a mate for it and always have to pull the new one out lol.

There are a few reef safe butterflies but they are not the colorful ones your used to seeing with butterflies.

and some of those butterflies are great for certain pest control too.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 01:39 AM
I have not been so lucky with lawnmowers eating prepared food....but that's the beauty of this hobby...what works for some doesnt for others.

and again, in regards to the tangs and angels and such.....what works for some doesnt for others. i personally just dont think there is any reason to doubt the mass majority when it comes to what is appropriate for certain species. long term success is the ultimate goal right....for the fish, not for the owner.

Good luck, have fun. learn. that's what this all about.

I deff agree that what works for 1 person dont always work for others.

On the tangs even RC suggests a min 75 for the tangs i have however the hippo in a 55 gal is a diffrent story.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 01:45 AM
What butterfly fish would you guys recommend?

whosurcaddie
02/12/2014, 02:03 AM
What butterfly fish would you guys recommend?

Copperband is always a great choice. I don't know why people are telling you chromis are aggressive they are very peaceful they just like to school with they're own kind which is why I suggested you add 2 more.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 02:10 AM
I cant think of the reef safe ones off hand but just google reef safe butterfly fish and you will get a decent list. The reef safe ones will still need to be fed around 4 times a day though.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 02:13 AM
Although copperbands are great in most reefs they can be hard to get to eat and i wouldnt trust it with your anemone

Mrscribbled
02/12/2014, 03:32 AM
A pyramid butterfly would be a good reef safe butterflyfish. They often develope bacterial infections on their mouth, if not treated right away they often die. Copperbands get large, eat enemones, and are not a good "first" butterflyfish to attempt to keep, as they are very difficult.

faithenfire
02/12/2014, 07:40 AM
I would get the blenny still, they have great personalities, i have never had one that wouldnt eat dry or frozen foods, also the ones i did have wouldnt even look at hair algae.

i agree, I've never had one not attack and eat whatever food i put in the tank. mostly, they are fat little pigs. if you buy from the lfs, ask to see him eat. if he doesn't eat the food, don't get him.
They are great little fun fish

ca1ore
02/12/2014, 08:46 AM
A pyramid butterfly would be a good reef safe butterflyfish. They often develope bacterial infections on their mouth, if not treated right away they often die.

Indeed they do! Prophylactic treatment improved my success rate with these fish from 0% to 100% :)

erickcooper
02/12/2014, 09:07 AM
I bought three blue/green chromis fish 7 years ago and still have one of them (I literally believe one choked to death - he was swimming around eating and 5 minutes later was dead - very weird). The remaining chromis seems to get along well with everyone and is not aggressive at all. But, I think I've been lucky. My stock list for my 75g for the last three years was as follows (just moved up to 125g and can now add a couple I think):

gold stripe maroon clown
blue/green chromis
coral beauty
scopas tang
flame hawk

Maybe it's because there's just one of each, but I haven't had any bullying issues (except the maroon to me!!!).

Coral beauties are so cool but I have read they may pick at corals.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 09:22 AM
I cant think of the reef safe ones off hand but just google reef safe butterfly fish and you will get a decent list. The reef safe ones will still need to be fed around 4 times a day though.

Are they good for begginers?

MMacro
02/12/2014, 09:27 AM
I bought three blue/green chromis fish 7 years ago and still have one of them (I literally believe one choked to death - he was swimming around eating and 5 minutes later was dead - very weird). The remaining chromis seems to get along well with everyone and is not aggressive at all. But, I think I've been lucky. My stock list for my 75g for the last three years was as follows (just moved up to 125g and can now add a couple I think):

gold stripe maroon clown
blue/green chromis
coral beauty
scopas tang
flame hawk

Maybe it's because there's just one of each, but I haven't had any bullying issues (except the maroon to me!!!).

Coral beauties are so cool but I have read they may pick at corals.

Yea, I bought two green chromis along with a firefish goby from my lfs. One chromis died from red sore disease shortly after. A week after I got my chromis and firefish I added a diamond watchman goby, two false percula clown fish, and hermits/snails. Everyone seems to be doing fine. They are eating well and from what I have seen so far, no bullying.

shifty51008
02/12/2014, 09:40 AM
I have never had a butterfly fish so I can't say how hard they are to keep.

jesterisdead
02/12/2014, 10:00 AM
I got a copperband butterfly and loved him. He didn't eat for a few days no matter what I tried then I got some black worms and tada. He was an eating machine after that. He nipped a few corals here and there but for the most part I had him eating. Then for some reason my large grey angel decided he didn't like him any more and started chewing on him. It was only a day and he was dead.

Next day the angel was gone as he had already destroyed several designer zoa and was eating all the snails.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 10:32 AM
Does this look good?
Fire fish goby
Green Chromis x3
Clownfish x2
Diamond watchman goby
Wrasse,butterfly fish, or angel
Yellow tang
Cardinal fish x2
Lawnmower blenny
Cleaner shrimp x2
Hermit crab x10
Snails x10
Frogspawn, polyps
anemone (what are some good anemones for false perculas?)

jesterisdead
02/12/2014, 10:53 AM
Only 10 snails is a bit weak imo. Get a mix of them as some will spend time on glass at night (dwarf cerith) and dig thru your sand (dwarf planaxis) and small spaces in your rock, others will spend a greater amount of time on your glass eating diatoms and hair algae (nerite, nassarius, and regular ceriths).

A new fav of mine is vibex. When I feed they literally pop out of the sand and go crazy so they ate great sand movers. I also have several sand sifting starfish and brittle stars.

For a 90 and a heavy fish load I would do about 50 dwarf ceriths, and at least 20 to 25 of the other variety. Toss in a few emerald crab as they like hair and bubble algea.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 10:56 AM
Only 10 snails is. Dry week. Get a mix of them as some will spend time on glass at night (dwarf cerith) and dig thru your sand (dwarf planaxis) and small spaces in your rock, others will spend a greater amount of time on your glass eating customs (nerite). A new fav of mine is vibex. When I feed they litterly pop out of the sand and go crazy so they ate great sand movers. I also have several sand sifting starfish and brittle stars.

For a 90 and a heavy fish load I would do about 50 dwarf ceriths, and at least 20 to 25 of the other variety. Toss in a few emerald crab as they like hair and bubble algea.

Ok, im heading over to my lfs on saturday to pick up some more snails, another cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab, some more live rock, and two banggaii cardinals.

jesterisdead
02/12/2014, 10:58 AM
I like my cards as they "hover" in the tank and don't really move around that much.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 11:04 AM
I like my cards as they "hover" in the tank and don't really move around that much.

Yea, but they are cool to look at.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 08:58 PM
Has anyone here had luck with getting a flame angel or coral beauty to stay away from corals? Is it common for them to nip at them?

Joe0813
02/12/2014, 09:09 PM
Copperband is always a great choice. I don't know why people are telling you chromis are aggressive they are very peaceful they just like to school with they're own kind which is why I suggested you add 2 more.

wrong... chromis are not peaceful at all...they actually kill themselves off until the strongest one is the only one. unless of course they're aggressive fish in the tank to make them stick together.

MMacro
02/12/2014, 09:44 PM
wrong... chromis are not peaceful at all...they actually kill themselves off until the strongest one is the only one. unless of course they're aggressive fish in the tank to make them stick together.

Will they behave with my list?

Joe0813
02/12/2014, 09:50 PM
i wouldnt risk them... everything ive heard with them is they just kill each other off.... if you want someone who is REALLY good at giving advise on stocking lists then check out this sticky

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112

robotman
02/13/2014, 06:58 PM

really? my lfs has like 4-5 in his display tank and theyve been in there for a while.