PDA

View Full Version : Best hydrometer?

babyduke
02/12/2014, 12:41 PM
I don't trust my cheap floating hydrometer. So which would you recommend out of these? Or is there a better one reasonably priced?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-116658-62909R_07-fish.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-72981-54305-fish-supply.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-14035-62907R_3-fish.jpg

thegrun
02/12/2014, 01:07 PM
A refractometer

Kyuss
02/12/2014, 01:08 PM
The bottom one is a refractometer, which is what you want along with calibration solution that's 1.026 sg. BRS sells one for a very reasonable price that comes with the proper calibration solution that will serve you well. Just remember to keep the calibration solution tightly closed when storing it so it stays at the proper sg.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid.html

Reeferz412
02/12/2014, 01:11 PM
+1 to the Refractometer. It is a must have if you are in this hobby. the hydrometer is nice as a backup for any emergencies. I have one just in case by Instant Ocean.

TruReef
02/12/2014, 01:19 PM
A refractometer

this is the best method.!!!

mluntz
02/12/2014, 02:13 PM
+1 refractometer

Art13
02/12/2014, 02:19 PM
I have both the instant ocean hydrometer and a refractometer, i use the instant ocean to get the salt mix to about where i want it, and then check and add a little more salt if needed with the hydrometer.

syrinx
02/12/2014, 02:48 PM
Glass lab grade hydrometer. Never need calibration and is always reliable.

MondoBongo
02/12/2014, 02:53 PM
A refractometer

+1

much easier to use, easier to read, less mess (only requires a few drops), and more accurate readings.

best piece of kit you can buy.

Sk8r
02/12/2014, 02:53 PM
A refractometer is easy to use and will save you fish. Test every bag on opening and be sure within .002. Reliably. Well-cared-for and in regular use, refractometers tend to be reliable and long-lived.

Johnnycat
02/12/2014, 04:01 PM
As an alternative, I have a Milwaukee digital refractometer - well worth it to me. It doesn't take much time and maintenance for the optical refractometer, but it's a little easier with the digital.

Either refractometer will work, but avoid those swing-arm hydrometers. They just aren't accurate enough for me. I had one when I first got started in this horrible addiction known as reef tanks and I couldn't understand how my salinity fluctuated day-to-day until I realized there were small bubbles under the swing arm that would affect the reading.

Whisperer
02/12/2014, 04:25 PM
As an alternative, I have a Milwaukee digital refractometer - well worth it to me. It doesn't take much time and maintenance for the optical refractometer, but it's a little easier with the digital.

Either refractometer will work, but avoid those swing-arm hydrometers. They just aren't accurate enough for me. I had one when I first got started in this horrible addiction known as reef tanks and I couldn't understand how my salinity fluctuated day-to-day until I realized there were small bubbles under the swing arm that would affect the reading.
I agree, less eye strain, easy to calibrate. I use as close to pure RO/DI water knowing the SG is 1.000, so I don't need a special calibrating fluid. It also adjusts to temperature. Downside, relatively costly than refractometer.

Kyuss
02/12/2014, 06:05 PM
I agree, less eye strain, easy to calibrate. I use as close to pure RO/DI water knowing the SG is 1.000, so I don't need a special calibrating fluid. It also adjusts to temperature. Downside, relatively costly than refractometer.

Reason for using a calibration fluid is so that the instrument is calibrated at the point at which you need it to be accurate. With a single-point calibration, you're essentially zeroing it out, not actually calibrating the scale. So if the instrument has a tolerance of sg ±0.0001, and you calibrate at 1.000 but normally measure at 1.026, you could be from 1.023 to 1.029 or anywhere between, due to tolerance stack-up.

Mcgeezer
02/12/2014, 06:16 PM
Get a refractometer...got mine for $29 on amazon

rfgonzo
02/12/2014, 06:37 PM
this is the best method.!!!

Yes,

syrinx
02/12/2014, 06:48 PM
Reason for using a calibration fluid is so that the instrument is calibrated at the point at which you need it to be accurate. With a single-point calibration, you're essentially zeroing it out, not actually calibrating the scale. So if the instrument has a tolerance of sg ±0.0001, and you calibrate at 1.000 but normally measure at 1.026, you could be from 1.023 to 1.029 or anywhere between, due to tolerance stack-up.

My point exactly-an improperly calibrated instrument is no better than a swing arm. Thats why the glass hydrometer will always be accurate, and never be in question in an emergency. Unless you break it of course!

duperdave
02/12/2014, 07:10 PM
I'm not even going to read this thread get a refractometer.
a glass hydrometer is the most accurate you'll get

Whisperer
02/12/2014, 07:11 PM
In the calibration procedure accompanying the instrument, it states to use distilled water or deionized water to "Zero" the instrument, which correspond to SG 1.00 when the unit is changed. Calibration fluids may not work if you push the "ZERO" button (Yes, there is a ZERO button for calibrating with distilled water or R?O water). I have been using RO/DI water to calibrate my Milwaukee. Never an issue. My refractometer sometimes gives me different readings each time I change the sample (and I calibrate it with those calibrating fluids). I have more confidence with milwaukee, it gives the same exact reading with different samples. But that's just me. You use whatever suits your needs.

SS_Sean
02/12/2014, 11:36 PM
Good post. I just bought a Milwaukee and it's a really nice piece, but I was wondering about the distilled water. I used some water out of a water bottle in a pinch, as I didn't have any 'distilled water' at the house. I'm wondering what Milwaukee would recommend for accuracy. Any thoughts out there?

mattix
02/12/2014, 11:49 PM
that instant ocean hydrometer I bought brand new would give my false readings everytime. A waste of 7 bucks if you ask me. I bought a refractometer and calibration fluid for around $30 off ebay. It reads the exact same reading for each sample.

Crusinjimbo
02/13/2014, 06:36 AM
None! Get a refractometer.

SS_Sean
02/13/2014, 12:58 PM
Very interesting:
I called Milwaukee, in NC, and talked with the Tech Manager. He asked me what the purpose of the meter was for. He laughed and said that the MA887 does not require a 'calibration solution' and that most of those solutions are so far off they are unusable. I think the term he used was 'mixed in a bathtub' and 'snake oil'. He stated that STEAMED distilled water is all that is needed to zero the meter. He also said that if there was some magical 'calibration solution' that Milwaukee would sell it to ensure the customers were taking accurate readings. He also reminded me the company includes a card in the box, which says:
***Important Notice***
This digital refractometer
must be calibrated to 0 using
steam distilled water ONLY

He said the company was aware of these claims out in the blog world, and at one time tried to go out and dispell the myths, but home enthusiasts refused to believe the company who made the meter, and the science behind, so the company stopped trying. Now they simply answer the questions for those who call in. He said if anyone has any questions to give him a call.

I guess that answers my question.... very nice man, and a pleasure to talk to.