PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Start. Need ideas. $4000-5000. What would you do?

DaveWJunior
02/12/2014, 03:20 PM
Totally new at this. Wife wants a fish tank. I want a fish tank. We want to do it right the FIRST time (and not buy something too small). She has given me a budget and freedom to do whatever I want.
I've been reading through a lot of the posts and especially the "stickys" in this forum. I'm looking for a 120-180 gal reef tank setup. LED lighting, as "automatic" as possible, lots of softer "wave around in the breeze" coral, and plenty of colorful fish/snails/shrimp/etc. I was looking at the Innovative Marine SR series NUVO aquariums, but I think these are a bit too shallow for my tastes. I'd really like to stay under my budget of $5000, for the complete package. Is this doable for a decent system? I'd love some ideas and product/price lists as suggestions when it comes to equipment and suppliers.

Thanks!
Dave

Pastey
02/12/2014, 03:27 PM
Very doable if you are thrifty and don't mind waiting around for a good deal. You can save money but finding complete/nearly complete systems from someone getting out of the hobby. A lightly used 180 tank/stand combo with a decent sized sump should still leave you plenty of budget to get going. Sand, rock, skimmer, powerheads, plumbing, salt mix, some LEDs like Reefbreeders (that won't break the bank)...very feasible. If you decide to go the controller route, don't skimp here. You will likely get close the $5k budget but you can do it. I've spent roughly that in my 200 thus far. Get the essentials to get going and then add the "Want" stuff as you go. Sometimes you don't know what you really want until you find the direction wish to go.

tthnow
02/12/2014, 03:37 PM
Don't hold back on quality equipment. Get the equipment first, worry about livestock later.

I would avoid tanks with built in sump,etc. But that's me, because if I was to upgrade I still have my equipment transferable.

igot2gats
02/12/2014, 03:54 PM
Agreed with above. Yes it's def possible, by buying a used tank. Craigslist is where it's at, but you just might have to wait....it's all about timing.

Here are spme popular, well trusted brands

Powerheads: Tunze, Eco Tech, Reefbreeders
LEDS: Ecotech or AI
Skimmer: Reef Octopus, SWC, Bubble Magus
RO/DI units: Bulk Reef Supply, The Filter Guys
Water holding containers: Brute trash cans

maddmaxx
02/12/2014, 04:46 PM
Agreed with above. Yes it's def possible, by buying a used tank. Craigslist is where it's at, but you just might have to wait....it's all about timing.

Here are spme popular, well trusted brands

Powerheads: Tunze, Eco Tech, Reefbreeders
LEDS: Ecotech or AI
Skimmer: Reef Octopus, SWC, Bubble Magus
RO/DI units: Bulk Reef Supply, The Filter Guys
Water holding containers: Brute trash cans

reefbreeders have a powerhead????

KnightMetro
02/12/2014, 05:02 PM
If you piece a system together, you can stay way under that budget if you go used and shop local reef club members that are selling and Craigslist. I've done this for years. In the end your money will get you 3x more than if you buy new.

If it were me with that kind of budget, I'd find a used tank,stand, and canopy set used and then look at your equipment needs brand new. Used tank sets can easily go for 50-80% less than new.

Now that being said, if you don't want to go with the headache of piecing it all together, I would recommend the large turn key systems from Red Sea.

http://www.redseafish.com/max-concept/max-s-series/

These tanks are striking and in your size and price range. 110g,135g,and 175g versions. If I wasn't a frugal terd, I'd already have one. I'm just a DIY kinda guy.

zenom
02/12/2014, 05:04 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. Just add a little more to the budget for things you don't think about. Salt, test kits, RO/DI, buckets etc. Those things will add up. Otherwise I think $5k is fine. I am building a 165 gallon (starphire glass), custom stand 85 gallon sump, 3 x RapidLED lights, used MP40's etc., and I am under $5k (not much, but I am). It just depends on what you want to do, you need to read between the lines on the forums here too. Some will say WP40's while others MP40's (for instance). Just do research and do what you will be comfortable with.

Good luck and have fun with it :)

EDIT: Also don't forget about all your quarantine / hospital tank equipment too, if you plan to use them.

RatReef
02/12/2014, 05:15 PM
Buy a used tank...build your own stand, that way you can make the stand large enough for equipment..your standard stands will leave things a bit tight.

fishnfool
02/12/2014, 07:13 PM
I would suggest finding a local reefing club as well, especially if you go the used tank and stand route. Someone there may have what you are looking for and likely to be of good quality.

Also, as some here have already suggested get good quality equipment. I've gone the cheap route before and it costs you more in the end. With your budget though you can get high end stuff, even if it's used the best equipment lasts a long time.

igot2gats
02/13/2014, 12:27 PM
reefbreeders have a powerhead????

No. Meant to list that under LEDs.

igot2gats
02/13/2014, 12:31 PM
EDIT: Also don't forget about all your quarantine / hospital tank equipment too, if you plan to use them.

Yes, this is a good one, and you can EASILY find a used freshwater tank for a quarantine tank on Craigslist. It's like finding a cloud in the sky.

Quarantine is a must have if you value any of your livestock. And it's cheap to set up, and run. No brainer.

30-40g tank for QT will house almost any fish for the +/- 6 weeks that your animal will be in there.

eatbreakfast
02/13/2014, 01:47 PM
I would have an idea of what you are looking for and scoure craigslist for what you can find.
Maybe its just bad experiences, but I would actually try and avoid local reefers as they usually overvalue what they have.

domvert
02/13/2014, 01:53 PM
you can get a nice set up for 5k easily- I did my 150gal tank for around $4k that included used tank, cabinet, VHO supplement and dosing pumps but everything else was new, vortech, skimmer, MHs etc.

Strobes
02/13/2014, 02:38 PM
This should be easy if your resourceful. I just set up a 210 fowler for far under 5k. I found a glass 210 gallon with a beautiful custom stand and canopy for $650. New 75 gallon sump with refugium was about $150. New Reef octopus nwb200 skimmer was $275 I believe. New Tunze auto top off was $200. Plumbing was probably 50-$100. I have two vortech mp40s I got used for around $300 each(best powerheads you can buy IMO). That leaves you with lights. I went with two 27" 160w max spect razor LEDs and love them. Got one new and one used, total of about $800. A speed wave do return pump was about $150. All this stuff is middle of the road to top of the line equipment. Also picked up a 40 gallon breeder at petco for $40 for a quarantine and there an old HOB filter I had. I may be forgetting a few small things but that's all the big stuff. That totals out to $2965.00. And that's a nice setup, some things you could find cheaper used and some more expensive. Local forums and craigslist are the best place to save some money. Hope this helps, good luck.

slowjazz
02/13/2014, 03:06 PM
Totally new at this. Wife wants a fish tank. I want a fish tank. We want to do it right the FIRST time (and not buy something too small). She has given me a budget and freedom to do whatever I want.
I've been reading through a lot of the posts and especially the "stickys" in this forum. I'm looking for a 120-180 gal reef tank setup. LED lighting, as "automatic" as possible, lots of softer "wave around in the breeze" coral, and plenty of colorful fish/snails/shrimp/etc. I was looking at the Innovative Marine SR series NUVO aquariums, but I think these are a bit too shallow for my tastes. I'd really like to stay under my budget of $5000, for the complete package. Is this doable for a decent system? I'd love some ideas and product/price lists as suggestions when it comes to equipment and suppliers.

Thanks!
Dave

One thing you should budget for is the install. a tank that size will/should include a sump/fuge. It will be easier to have someone install the tubes..ect...
It may pay to buy a 'complete' system from a saltwater dish store and include the install. Even if you buy used, you still would need water..ect... Atleast a fish store would include/install all that for you.

Strobes
02/13/2014, 04:20 PM
One thing I forgot to add was rock and sand. I did 180lbs live sand which was about $200 but u could buy the cheaper stuff in bulk for much less and borrow a cup or two from an established tank nearby to seed the lifeless sand. I went with all live rock because we have a store nearby that drives to Florida and brings back great gulf rock and it's very well priced at 5.99 per lb. 50-100lbs is 4.99/lb and 100+ is 3.99 so that was cheaper than a lot of dry rock around. I spent around 800 in 3 trips. A lot of places charge 9-12$ and that's outrageous. If you don't have a good store buy 100lbs of dry online and the rest live and it will all turn live eventually.

Windirmere
02/13/2014, 04:32 PM
Tank
Stand
Sump
Skimmer
return pump
Lights
ATO
Rocks
Sand
Flow

Spend the big bucks on Flow,Lights and skimmer. ATO unit has been the best purchase i have made for my tank in regards to stability. Also check out Apex reef controllers

55coolgalreef
02/13/2014, 05:25 PM
i know im crazy.. but i would buy a used small setup for around 400
unless your have just spent alot of time researching..

that way you can have some time in the hobby and see what you really want to do... that way you would have 4500 to try and find a great deal.. and see what will work for your home if you have a super nice home .. i would shoot for a inwall ... but thats just me..

cjobo
02/13/2014, 05:32 PM
Red Sea = :drool:

DaveWJunior
03/04/2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice, guys!
Ended up going with a 150 gal (incl 30 gal sump) starfire glass setup.
Reef Octopus skimmer
200lbs of live sand
150lbs of dry rock
BRS 5 stage RO/DI
3 300watt titanium heaters (still haven't decided on a chiller model)
2 Vortech MP40 power heads (plus a third cheaper model for the mixing can)
2 Maxspect R420R Razor LED lights
Neptune Apex controller
Tunze Osmolator auto top-off
BRS reactors for GFO and carbon
Test kits for Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia/CA/ALK/MG
Refractometer
Plus all my salt, instant ocean seeder, etc.

I've already wired a dedicated circuit to the tank and to the sump area.
I'll be mounting the sump and equipment in the basement on behind the wall where the tank will be (I live in a split level home, so there won't be much head pressure at all).
Going to set the tank up later this week and get all of the plumbing in. Going to leave room for a UV light in case I want to add one later (thoughts?) and plenty of shelving for dosers, calcium reactors, etc if I want to add those later. I'll have 2 Brute trash cans (one raw RO/DI and one prepped for water changes) in the basement as well. Still looking around for a 20-30 gallon tank to use as a quarantine/hospital tank. When I get one I'll have to add one more small heater and another small powerhead to the list.

Art13
03/04/2014, 12:41 PM
if i can offer one piece of advise, as i'm fairly new as well but have already seen my share of problems and what needs to be corrected and how i would have done differently, is not to only ask for advise on what to get and equipment, look up all the posts where something went wrong. I'll give a few examples, live rock vs dry rock, no hitch hikers on dry rock, they can be both good and bad, and can pose a headache for the entire time you have it set up, if you go with live, do some research on where you are getting it from and what to do if an unwanted hitchhiker comes. Algae (this comes down to PO4 control i believe). Depending on feeding habits and stocking this can be an issue, i've ran into it already, and at this point am breaking down my 60g and setting up a 90 with nutrient control in mind. Have something set up in case ich comes along, if you have the budget, get a q/t and decide how you want to handle it, either as a place to observe new purchases or to treat all incoming fish, you will hear arguments both ways, it comes down to preference and how well you can spot a infection/disease/parasite. If you plan on putting in coral, a possible q/t for them as well as figuring out what dip to use. Mind you, again, i'm new, 7 or so months in, but all of the stuff i've mentioned here i've already been through. No q/t and lost half my fish to ich. Having to tear apart the tank to catch all the fish to put into q/t that i had to set up, fish less tank for 12 weeks, dipping corals for pest that i just put in the tank before. Running a reactor after the fact that my nutrients went up almost seems like a waste at this point since its such a hard fight. Get a tds meter as well, it will tell you when to change the filters. I also like hermit crabs, and for the most part, besides going after some snails, are harmless, but i also like lps and feeding them, and have learned hermits as well as my two shrimp turned out to be a large hassle as they attempt to steal all the food i just fed the lps. I had two emerald crabs and a ruby crab that were supposed to be reef safe but one night i looked into the tank and they were snacking away at my stag acro and digi sps. good equipment is a good start, but knowing the battles and knocking them out before they even start will make your life easier. Of course you won't get everything, things will happen, you learn, and if you love the hobby you don't quit, some things you can only learn as well by going through them, but it will give you a head start.

BigCountry74
03/04/2014, 02:35 PM
5k should land ya a complete system via CL. A REALLY big and nice system for that matter. The PITA will be the logistics of transported it to your house :D

The only downside of this is your miss out on all the fun of the hobby...because designing, building the tank, stocking it, growing it, IS the hobby :D

Put 5k in a savings account and start from scratch. That's what I would do.

benjc
03/04/2014, 05:50 PM
First step; decide exactly what size tank you want. For some people the tank size is dictated by specific livestock they want to keep, for others it is dictated by the space where the tank will go. Spend several months researching equipment to go in whatever side tank you go with and ask questions in this forum. If you decide to go the used equipment/tank route, know that there is a used goods section on this forum available after 50 posts and 3 months membership.