PDA

View Full Version : Attaching/Securing frags to LR?

Spork3245
02/13/2014, 09:22 AM
Bought a zoa frag over the weekend, it's on a small piece of rock. I placed the frag into a "wedge" in one of my LR and it's been fine for several days now. However, this morning I woke up to the frag being nowhere in sight. Took me awhile but I found it several rocks down, flipped over, with a snail on top of it. Pretty sure a Turbo Snsil "bulldozed" it over night... Anyway, the zoa seems to be happy with it's placement (untill the flipping :p), so to prevent this occuring again I assume it would be best to secure the rock piece the zoa is on to to the larger piece of LR permanently. What do you guys reccomend I use for this that's reef and fish safe?

MacWilliams
02/13/2014, 09:25 AM
Lots of people use super glue. Get the gel type and cover the bottom and place it where you want quickly. If you can remove the rock you want it on then it will be much better. You dont have to take it out just getting it closer to the surface so the glue doesnt harden before you get the frag on there.

Spork3245
02/13/2014, 09:31 AM
Lots of people use super glue. Get the gel type and cover the bottom and place it where you want quickly. If you can remove the rock you want it on then it will be much better. You dont have to take it out just getting it closer to the surface so the glue doesnt harden before you get the frag on there.

Really? Super glue? It's reef safe and won't hurt/poison my fish?
Wow, this seems almost TOO easy :)

julie180
02/13/2014, 09:39 AM
Ya, super glue is reef safe. Zip ties are another option.

thegrun
02/13/2014, 10:44 AM
Super glue gel is by far the most common method. Your skimmer (if you have one) will likely overproduce foam for awhile, but it should calm down overnight.

Mcgeezer
02/13/2014, 10:45 AM
gel super glue with the main ingredient being Cyanocrylate is reef safe

also reef safe epoxy is a good choice

Sawdonkey
02/13/2014, 11:00 AM
I use super glue for small things and plumbers epoxy for large things. You can get the epoxy at any hardware store. Just make sure it says it is safe for potable water.

agranoff
02/13/2014, 11:27 AM
I find epoxy easy to work with (glue has sometimes not bonded well enough) but I have used both. Skimmer goes nuts with epoxy but goes away in a few hours.