PDA

View Full Version : Moving fish to a new home

lindfozs
02/14/2014, 07:33 AM
I will be moving the fish in my 75 gallon tank to a 350 gallon system over the next couple months. I have not seen any signs of ich since first introducing my tiny naso tang about 10 months ago (been about 8 -9 months since any signs of ich). I also have a small blue tang that has showed no signs of ich since the naso was introduced but the blue tang does have some hole-in-the-head. My question is: Should I still quarantine these guys and treat them with cupramine for 2 -4 weeks? The quarantine setup is a 29 gallon tank so I worry the tangs will get stressed from the limited size plus they will not be the first to go through the quarantine system so, potentially, they could unnecessarily be exposed to ich or other diseases. All new fish will be quarantined for at least 30 days and treated with PraziPro or other meds if necessary though. Any advice is appreciated!

Newsmyrna80
02/14/2014, 07:55 AM
Did they have ich before? If they've been disease free I wouldn't bother with QT. If they did have ich how did you treat them for it?

lindfozs
02/14/2014, 09:37 AM
Did they have ich before? If they've been disease free I wouldn't bother with QT. If they did have ich how did you treat them for it?

The blue tang had ich once before I introduced the naso but it wasn't severe and none of the other fish showed signs. The naso did have black ich shortly after I introduced it and the blue tang had a minor ich outbreak. But neither have showed signs for the past 8 -9 months. I did not use any medication when they had ich. I just used garlic with food for a while.

snorvich
02/14/2014, 01:34 PM
I would suggest tank transfer. Guarantees no ich for the new tank. I would NOT treat with copper. If you did not treat with Prazipro previously, that is probably a good idea since black ich is not cryptocaryon irritans.

lindfozs
02/14/2014, 03:08 PM
I would suggest tank transfer. Guarantees no ich for the new tank. I would NOT treat with copper. If you did not treat with Prazipro previously, that is probably a good idea since black ich is not cryptocaryon irritans.

Do you mean you would suggest quarantine?

Newsmyrna80
02/14/2014, 04:15 PM
If it were me I would do tank transfer like Snorvich said then I would quarantine them for observation and treatment with Prazi.