PDA

View Full Version : can i save it?

brad_G
02/14/2014, 07:29 PM
I got this clam from an internet site and doesn't seem to be doing well the foot was tore when I got it. I thought maybe I could bring it back but I'm not sure. Any help would be great or is it a gonner?

moliken
02/14/2014, 09:05 PM
doubtful, imo

brad_G
02/16/2014, 02:46 AM
Yup it was a crabs dinner about 2 hours after I posted.

NYCBOB
02/16/2014, 06:51 AM
its dead.

Fshhh
02/16/2014, 08:44 PM
i agree with nycbob. if it got ate, its probably not gonna make it.

Nina51
02/17/2014, 10:04 AM
have you contacted the seller?

ca1ore
02/17/2014, 04:13 PM
If the byssal gland is really torn or damaged almost always spells doom for the clam. But, what folks think is the gland, is often just a clump of byssal threads, which won't affect the clam. Learned this from personal experience many times over.

brad_G
02/18/2014, 12:08 PM
Ya it didn't make it. Neither did the other clams. I had heard bad reviews about this particular vendor but they have excellent customer service so I'm sure it will work out. I contacted them last night via email but haven't heard back yet.

With the size and relatively high price of these clams I will not be getting another. I'm not sure how the price are at LFS because I don't have a LFS that sells em but 90$ for a 1-3/4 inch maxima is kinda steep!

RichardinMa
02/21/2014, 09:10 PM
Ya it didn't make it. Neither did the other clams. I had heard bad reviews about this particular vendor but they have excellent customer service so I'm sure it will work out. I contacted them last night via email but haven't heard back yet.

With the size and relatively high price of these clams I will not be getting another. I'm not sure how the price are at LFS because I don't have a LFS that sells em but 90$ for a 1-3/4 inch maxima is kinda steep!

That is somewhat high. I just got a couple maximas from Cultivated Reef and they came in very healthy and colorful and I only paid $60 for a 2". He e-mailed me photos of the actual clams so I could choose exactly which one I wanted. Color will certainly affect price.