PDA

View Full Version : Question on adding Sand

willy0508
02/14/2014, 10:57 PM
So after about 2 yrs off I'm getting my tank back up and running. I'm using my old "live" rock, now not live, that's been dried out and will start the cycle with a piece of shrimp once I get it all back together.

So I got a good deal on some CarribSea Aragonite "Live" sand on sale. So not caring if it's really live or not would it hurt to put it in now and leave it sit out in the air a few days? My new RODI doesn't get here until next weekend so I can't fill it just yet but I have a rockscape i like and want to get the sand in to make sure it's all sturdy with the sand in.

I was figuring no big deal if the "beneficial bacteria" died out since I'm truly starting from scratch, I'm in no hurry to rush the cycle and it will become live again. Just wondered if it there would be any issues I'm not seeing once I get it filled and started to cycle. Or should i hold off to keep anything that may still be alive in there to aid in the cycle.
Also, if I do put in in now waiting to add water I can't rinse it since the RODI isn't here yet, would that be an issue.

Thanks,
willy

ReeferBill
02/14/2014, 11:04 PM
I would add the sand before you add water, you can place your rock directly on the bare bottom of tank and add sand later. If you want a shrimp goby or jaw fish you will not have to worry about your rock falling.... Then you still get the benefit of your live sand!

larac
02/14/2014, 11:14 PM
I know there is debate on whether there is any bacteria in the bagged Aragonite, but I've always been a fan because I liked the look of the Fiji pink. I doubt it would hurt anything since you are not concerned about cycle time (kudos!) but it wouldn't hurt to put a few gallons of RO water from Walmart or wherever in there to keep it wet and even to let it settle a bit. BTW- the bagged Aragonite that has a little water in the bag is not supposed to be rinsed.

willy0508
02/14/2014, 11:14 PM
I have the rock setup on some egg crate now, can I just fill around it once i get the RODI and water ready? Will I need to put sand under the rocks also so it's covering the crate enough to not leave pockets of open area under the base rocks?

Thanks, just making sure I get it right this time, first time I had a few issue I kept chasing until I had to break it down when we moved.

edit. Thanks larac did not know it didn't need rinsed, did that the first time around. :-)