PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cleaning Reef Octopus BH-1000

Kebabian
02/15/2014, 09:20 AM
I have a really hard time cleaning this thing. It's REALLY difficult to get into a lot of the areas and totally impossible to get into the chamber above the pump outlet which is totally enclosed by a perforated horizontal piece of PVC.....

I typically try to use an assortment of pipe cleaners but I really don't seem to be able to do a good job on it.

Any suggestions?

fishgate
02/15/2014, 09:44 AM
Why? The dirt it picks up that can't be cleaned out by flushing isn't going to hurt it. I had the BH-2000 for almost 2 years and only ever cleaned it when I sold it.

dkeller_nc
02/15/2014, 10:02 AM
Yep - there's no real need to keep a skimmer body spotless, and depending on how it's cleaned, it may be counter-productive, as the skimmer will have to "break in" again.

What really matters is cleaning the cup (with just tap water - no detergent), and occasionally taking the pump apart to clean the needle wheel and venturi. This last part is important - most venturis will accumulate salt and/or calcium carbonate, which reduces the air draw of the skimmer.

Kebabian
02/15/2014, 10:06 AM
My concern is I've been struggling with algae for a little while and the inside of the body has a very thing brown coating....not awful, but wondering if it's contributing.

Kebabian
02/15/2014, 08:18 PM
Any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just leave it as is?

Shaummy
02/15/2014, 08:37 PM
As long as you are getting good skimmate, I don't think the buildup in your skimmer is contributing to algae issues in your tank. I'd just go with what you have.