PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 4.5 Week Old Fluval Edge (6g)

Blinkerbee
02/15/2014, 11:18 AM
Here are my specs:

Tank: 6g Fluval Edge
Powerhead: Koralia Nano 240
Heater: Tetra HT10 50w
Lighting: stock
Substrate: Fiji Pink Arag-alive sand
Live Rock: Fully cured from LFS (about 5lbs)
Water: Mixed from LFS (bought by the gallon)

Livestock:
1 very happy baby percula clownfish (very shy at first)
2 red reef hermit crabs
Many other tiny critters that come out at night...eek! Including:
1. Asterina Stars (2)
2. Several small bristle stars
3. uncountable pods
4. 2-3 feather duster worms
5. a limpet? Or something... not sure

My question is about whether this is normal and when it will be finished "cycling"

First with everything in there the water cleared up almost immediately after adding the cured live rock. The next change I noticed was a small amount of green algae growing (it just looks like the rocks getting most light are turning green, not like hairy or anything). Then I had a big diatom bloom. Now the diatoms are slowly disappearing. I went away for 5 days recently and came back and they were almost all gone, but there is still a small coating here and there. Now the green algae is spreading even more.

My other question is, do I need to combat the green algae, or just wait for the long cycle to be over? I'm using the term "cycle" loosely because I think my cycle proper has already ended.

Is this normal progress?

What should I expect next?

Reefmedic79
02/15/2014, 02:30 PM
A couple Astrea or nerite snails would probably be good to add to prevent any unwanted algae from getting started in the tank. The green tint the rocks have taken is normal. Diatoms should completely disappear in time. The next thing you will likely start seeing is some form of cyanobacteria growing in the lower flow areas. This too in time will, eliminate itself, if you aren't overfeeding or have sufficient flow in the tank

Clownedge
02/24/2014, 09:07 PM
+1 for the above. it sounds like a normal cycle. It should clear up soon. Follow the above advice and do more water changes. any updates though?