PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR 40breeder

m_christison
02/15/2014, 04:31 PM
looking to set up said tank for a 40g breeder i have. i have a couple of questions. i am going to have a sump, but can a HOB skimmer work in a sump? i dont see why not but just want to clarify. secondly, when i am choosing the overflow and return pump for my sump, i base it off of display and sump total volume correct? i am going to have probably a 20L as a sump so i would need around 600gph pump is that correct? and when i am choosing a pump, will the distance the water is goign to be pumped play into it? thanks for the advice in advance guys

maddmaxx
02/15/2014, 06:34 PM
a HOB skimmer would work in the sump. but an in sump skimmer would be much much better for the system. to me theres no comparing a HOB skimmer with an in sump skimmer... you dont base the overflow on which size tank you have, you pair the return pump to the overflow box. yes head pressure should be considered, but say you get an overflow from glass holes thats rated for 700gph, then you should have a return pump rated at around 700gph. i wouldnt get a pump rated more then that cause you actually want slower flow thru the sump. so moving it to fast up to the main display will kinda defeat the purpose of the sump. so again, i would look into an in sump skimmer for that tank, you can get a really good skimmer for not that much money. and pair your return pump to your overflow box and your done...