PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching rock question

Cpl_usmc
02/16/2014, 10:11 AM
I've never bleached rock before but I have had a lot sitting in my storage unit and haven't had a tank set up for a few years.. Anyways yesterday I put it in a few tubs with some boiling bleach water and scrubbed it with a brush.. I then rinsed it and let it dry in a basket in my room.. Which now smells like bleach, so my question to you guys is, what now? Do I keep rinsing it piece by piece until the bleach smell goes away.. I'm still in the equipment buying stage so it will be a few months before this rock hit's water.. any input will be awesome!!

bnumair
02/16/2014, 10:21 AM
it id sit and air dry for few more days, bleach will disappear with air dry within 24 hrs, it may smell like it but after rinsing there should be no issues. After doing so you can start curing them in the tub create movement and temp control of 78-82F with salinity of 1.025 and let it cure and become live.

Cpl_usmc
02/16/2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks! I'm going to figure out my aquascape probably today and drill my rock and use rods to keep it steady and then I will get some salt and a tote, I don't plan on setting it up anytime soon but if I can jump start the rock in a tub then ill do that for sure.. I have wayyyyyy to much rock for my needs lol..

Pife
02/16/2014, 11:10 AM
You can never have to much rock. I've never used the boiling water either. I bet that really stank. After I bleach rock I then acid wash it too.

Sk8r
02/16/2014, 11:25 AM
Soaking it in Prime for a few weeks (depending on the length of bleach exposure) might solve it.b

Reefahholic
02/16/2014, 12:48 PM
^^ true that..

I just kept rinsing mine with water, and letting it soak.

I let mine soak 24 hrs twice and rinsed twice.

Then let it dry out for 48 hrs.

Dropped it in the sump, with no I'll affects.

Cpl_usmc
02/16/2014, 02:48 PM
It was only in bleach water for about 20 min. I will get some prime and throw it in there and then rinse it again really well. Thanks for the input!!