PDA

View Full Version : Gen3 Pro Radion light coverage

VJV
02/18/2014, 02:38 AM
Hi, I am considering different options for my new 42x22x22 inch 80g tank, and was wondering if having a centrally mounted (parallel to the width of the tank) Gen3 Pro radion with the 120 degree optics would have enough coverage for my tank. I understand that having two of the normal (non pro) would probably be better, but it would also be much more expensive.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Kind regards

Alex Y EcoTech
02/18/2014, 08:04 AM
VJV,

The Wide Angle Lenses will increase the Radion's spread out to 36 inches, but you may still see shadowing in the corners off the aquarium.

VJV
02/18/2014, 08:20 AM
Thanks Alex. Actually 100cm equals 39,4 inches so it would not be too far off the 36, but I understand what you say about shadowing. I have a question though: given that the radion is not a square unit, and that it actually has two sets of LEDs towards each side of the rectangular shape, wouldn't this mean that the light coverage should be more of a rectangle than a square? I am always a bit puzzled to see the quoted par charts as a square when the light actually two led clusters towards the end of each of the sides. Wouldn't this mean that the coverage would be more like 39x36, or something like this?

mfinn
02/18/2014, 08:24 AM
I have a question though: given that the radion is not a square unit, and that it actually has two sets of LEDs towards each side of the rectangular shape, wouldn't this mean that the light coverage should be more of a rectangle than a square? I am always a bit puzzled to see the quoted par charts as a square when the light actually two led clusters towards the end of each of the sides. Wouldn't this mean that the coverage would be more like 39x36, or something like this?

I always thought this too.

s2nhle
02/19/2014, 02:33 PM
I always thought this too.

+1 I thought about that too. That is why I mounted my 2 radion pros with the longer side parallel with my longer side of the tank.