PDA

View Full Version : brown algae in new set up

dudejab10
02/18/2014, 12:59 PM
Hello,
I have a 120gal tank filled with ro/di water. Had it taped off with black trash bags to keep light out while it cycled. Well done my tests everything looked good after about two months. Took bags off turned lights on. Week later I getting brown alge. Order cleaning crew. Will that help or is there something else I can do?

Mcgeezer
02/18/2014, 01:37 PM
Hello,
I have a 120gal tank filled with ro/di water. Had it taped off with black trash bags to keep light out while it cycled. Well done my tests everything looked good after about two months. Took bags off turned lights on. Week later I getting brown alge. Order cleaning crew. Will that help or is there something else I can do?

That brown algae is diatoms, they are a part of every new tank and typically dissapear on their own once the avaliable silicates in the DT dissapate.

Your CUC will feast on it, so its a great food source to start with.

Diatoms show that your cycle is pretty much done and you've done everything correctly.

dudejab10
02/18/2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks for replying.

Mcgeezer
02/18/2014, 05:49 PM
I'm currently going thru the next stage, which is where my live rock turns lime green, but that's the start of coraline algae, which of course is a very good thing. It's just a little unsightly, but I know what's coming.

mike_cmu04
02/18/2014, 09:33 PM
You are right on track just keep doing what you are doing and get a clean up crew in there as long as your ammonia and nitrites are zero.

hersheyb
02/19/2014, 01:07 AM
Keep the weekly water changes up, you can also try siphon as much of the algea off the rocks as possible, till yourr clean up crew arrive

bradfrost
03/19/2014, 03:47 PM
Currently going thro this as well. Some of my live rock is startimg to turn green. Went and got 6 turbo snails and ten hermit crabs as a start