PDA

View Full Version : Are Apex & Reeflink redundant?

Raoul5Duke
02/19/2014, 08:40 AM
I am planning a new system and will obviously have to have a controller to monitor and control various aspects. I know you can control Radions through the Apex. Are the Apex and and Reeflink essentially redundant controls or is there an added benefit to having both? Any advise would be helpful in making a prudent purchasing decision. Thanks.

Breadman03
02/19/2014, 09:28 AM
Don't forget that the Fusion update for Apex allows for cloud control.

Squidmotron
02/19/2014, 10:28 AM
I would say an Apex w/ WXM module and a Reeflink are essentially redundant.

BoxesOfTheSea
02/19/2014, 11:04 AM
Not redundant. Apex will control so much more than Reeflink.

Raoul5Duke
02/19/2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes Boxes, I am aware, my question was in reference to Ecotech products. I plan on getting an Apex regardless.

cakemanPA
02/19/2014, 07:39 PM
Can be redundant? yes... I use both. I have not interest in fusion or controlling my lights from my APEX. I use ReefLink to access my lights. I like controlling my MP10s (or mp40s) with my WXM/APEX. So not redundant for my. I like and use both of them

worm5406
02/19/2014, 09:51 PM
You just can not use BOTH to control BOTH at the same time.

I had a reeflink, I just unplugged it this past weekend, after being on Fusion beta for 2 weeks.

I like fusion better, but that is just IMO.

erndog1001
02/20/2014, 07:42 AM
When you consider how much more you can w/Apex The choice is easy.

cakemanPA
02/20/2014, 09:02 AM

Not completely true...

ghostman
02/20/2014, 11:20 AM

100% True.

cakemanPA
02/20/2014, 01:07 PM
An opinion you may hold is not fact.

ghostman
02/20/2014, 01:44 PM
It is not a fact, but it is not only my opinion. The Apex with a WXM performs countless more tasks and is not even the same class of device as a ReefLink. Without going into great detail, the Apex can do countless things the Reeflink is not capable of performing at this time. The OP asked if they were redundant as he is getting an Apex anyway. Indicating that you use them both, and advising him of that, is a waste of the OPs resources.

Arkayology
02/20/2014, 08:07 PM
Redundant? At the moment, yes. However, ecotech marine has hinted that the reef link will be capable of more in the future. What that means is anyone's guess.

cakemanPA
02/21/2014, 06:34 AM
It is not a fact, but it is not only my opinion. The Apex with a WXM performs countless more tasks and is not even the same class of device as a ReefLink. Without going into great detail, the Apex can do countless things the Reeflink is not capable of performing at this time. The OP asked if they were redundant as he is getting an Apex anyway. Indicating that you use them both, and advising him of that, is a waste of the OPs resources.

I disagree with you. I stated why they are not redundant to me. My apex is great and the wxm is awesome for controlling my mp10s and 40s. I prefer the programming on ESL and accessing it thru ReefLink. Again repeating... not redundant + future usage.

You speaking for someone wasting the ops resources is at a minimum not too intelligent.

BoxesOfTheSea
02/21/2014, 06:54 AM
Take it easy fanbois. Name-calling and ad hominum attacks are not productive and uncalled for.
Facts...
Apex currently controls Radion and Vortech, along with a host of other functions.
Reeflink currently controls Radion and, I think it also controls Vortech. It promises to do more in the future.

erndog1001
02/21/2014, 08:03 AM
I disagree with you. I stated why they are not redundant to me. My apex is great and the wxm is awesome for controlling my mp10s and 40s. I prefer the programming on ESL and accessing it thru ReefLink. Again repeating... not redundant + future usage.

You speaking for someone wasting the ops resources is at a minimum not too intelligent.

Lets look at the facts then.

Reeflink does:
Lights
Pumps

Apex w/WXM and fusion does:
EVERYTHING

Nuff said :deadhorse:

cakemanPA
02/21/2014, 09:26 AM
Lets look at the facts then.

Reeflink does:

Lights

Pumps

Apex w/WXM and fusion does:

EVERYTHING

Nuff said :deadhorse:

Apex w/wxm and fusion does everything. But programming the lights is not as simple.

worm5406
02/21/2014, 10:16 AM
Really? I did mine really quick.. then I copied them over from one to the next all the way, until all had the same programming.

GatorAlum05
02/21/2014, 10:47 AM
as owners of both, I actually preferred Reeflink on my radions as opposed to WXM.

Maybe when fusion comes out, they will have the point and click function that I have with my reeflink right now, which IMHO is way better than what WXM provides.

As far as pumps, reeflink is not capable but will be. Until then, wxm works fine.

is it redundant? It can be. Could you run both at the same time? Yes. I like reeflink to control my lights. And without a pump controlling function right now, I am forced to use WXM for that.

ghostman
02/21/2014, 01:07 PM
Gatoralum05 brings up some great points about ease of use and current functionality. It is hard to compare the full Reeflink with Apex Fusion, because they are not fully functional yet. The OP asked for advice in making a "prudent purchasing decision". IMO, that means not buying extra things that might be redundant. Intelligence has nothing to do with it, especially for someone who wants it "simple" :)

GatorAlum05
02/23/2014, 06:08 PM
I will say this though, using my wxm for radions did incur coral bleaching since it's not the full fusion version. I had to input individual color and ramp time manually. Trying to mimic it as much as I can but didn't get it right. Left the house for a few days and came back to a lot of my corals bleached. Of course this also has to do with my fault for not being on top of things.

Staying with ESL via reeflink on a smaller tank have been easy as cake. I am thinking about selling my wxm and switching to reef link on my bigger tank when vortech compatibility is out. With that said, I have apex on both system for dosing, auto top off, etc etc etc

Squidmotron
02/23/2014, 10:49 PM
I agree with the sentiment that Apex is not currently as user friendly to control lights with, but I believe it is getting there shortly. If you only want to control Ecotech stuff, I'd get the Reeflink now. It's also cheaper when all is said and done. If you want to control more in addition to that, I'd get the Apex.

worm5406
02/23/2014, 11:07 PM
I will say this though, using my wxm for radions did incur coral bleaching since it's not the full fusion version. I had to input individual color and ramp time manually. Trying to mimic it as much as I can but didn't get it right. Left the house for a few days and came back to a lot of my corals bleached. Of course this also has to do with my fault for not being on top of things.

Staying with ESL via reeflink on a smaller tank have been easy as cake. I am thinking about selling my wxm and switching to reef link on my bigger tank when vortech compatibility is out. With that said, I have apex on both system for dosing, auto top off, etc etc etc

HUH??? The same thing could have happened with the reeflink.

It does not see into your tank and know to set it back to a lower aspect.

The wxm just makes the connection that the reef link does. Heck the wxm was out before the reeflink was.

With any light item there are different lights that can be controlled. To set the correct variable is the KEY to success.

To turn it on and leave is only calling for failure, Unless you copy point for point from the old one. Otherwise it does not assume and only does what you tell it.

I mean we can all be back in the Morse code days, or switch to the internet days. (I know Morse code btw I am an amateur radio operator).

GatorAlum05
02/24/2014, 10:11 AM
HUH??? The same thing could have happened with the reeflink.

It does not see into your tank and know to set it back to a lower aspect.

The wxm just makes the connection that the reef link does. Heck the wxm was out before the reeflink was.

With any light item there are different lights that can be controlled. To set the correct variable is the KEY to success.

To turn it on and leave is only calling for failure, Unless you copy point for point from the old one. Otherwise it does not assume and only does what you tell it.

I mean we can all be back in the Morse code days, or switch to the internet days. (I know Morse code btw I am an amateur radio operator).

Negative sir. You see, I'm one of the lucky individual that owns two tanks with BOTH tanks running ecotech radions, vortechs and apex. Using ESL, I was able to mimic exactly what my colors needed to do without bleaching since I have perfected what my tanks needed over the years.

Once the apex software came out to 4.31 and allowed wxm to connect to radions, I figure it was the easy thing to do instead of connecting to ESL (which at the time had been known to have connection problems)

At the same time, reeflink was soon available so I bought that for my other tank.

With that said, with Reeflink, I did not have to re-program anything. Whatever program I had originally on ESL, it was the same using Reeflink. What reeflink did was create a bridge from the rF card inside the radions to the internet thus allowing me to access my programs without any wires. It mimic my ORIGINAL programs which kept my corals happy. etc etc.

But with the wxm, I had to reprogram INDIVIDUAL color to a certain time, to a certain ramp, to a certain intensity. I in no way was prepared with such details that was required of me. I went with what was available online at the neptune apex forum (a generic coding). After leaving for a weekend, all my acros on the top of my tank were burnt out and bleached. I don't believe they will recover. I've sinced gone to ESL and mimic every single point with individual color and intensity to get it right on my WXM (that honestly was a pain butt)

Being that I have 2 tanks with EVERY single equipment the same, EXCEPT one had wxm and the other for reeflink, I can make a fair assessment for those who are on the fence about which one.

This is coming from my perspective. And if people don't want to believe me, be my guess and PM me your email and I can email you pictures of what happened and both my tank setups showing the equipment. (I don't know how to post pictures on here and I'm too lazy to find out)

With that said, APEX is awesome for dosing, temperature control, and anything that requires safe hazard redundancy. Breakout Box is a must even if you run a bean animal overflow. I'm pretty OCD about back ups to back ups to back ups in case anything happens and I will never be without APEX. I just prefer lighting control on my Radions VIA reeflink. That's all.

Happy reefing.

worm5406
02/24/2014, 10:19 AM
Ahhhh that explains it more, Yes I had to do the same thing.

The good thing is I was able to copy across to the other 4 radions by using their copy command.

Once I had my 12 or so different points set color by color, it was set, and done.

Ohh I believe that a setting of XXX compared to what you knew was working perfectly of XX+1/Y-Z is just not the same. I hope you can recover those and get everything back to normal.

That is why I stated that it only follows what we tell it to do. When I was using ESL, I too had connectivity problems. The wxm is working out for me as I can change the values (now that is is programmed) a bit easier.

GatorAlum05
02/24/2014, 10:56 AM
It comes down to time. Both companies are heads and heels over the competition that I wouldn't go anywhere else.

It comes down to what you're most comfortable with. It's hard for new users because they don't have the opportunity to switch in and switch out to try, test and mess around. If I had kept it simple, I wouldn't have lose most of my acros on the top. But this isn't neptune's fault. This was strictly on me. The more equipment I bought to keep my life in order, the lazier I got. LOL Such freaking irony.

Anywho, luckily my smaller tank have the same colonies. I just need to frag them and wait a few years for them to get big again.

damn ecotech and neptune for making such juicy and good technology. I was much happier and less stressed out back then when I plugged my lights into a timer because that was the ONLY available option.

erndog1001
02/25/2014, 06:17 AM
GatorAlum05
Thats the first time I've seen the two compared side by side. Great info. But from everything I've heard and read Fusion is going to cure all that. As it will pretty much mimic the way ESL works. Albeit without all the compatibility issues.

Raoul5Duke
03/06/2014, 09:31 AM
Wow, that escalated quickly... LOL! Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll start with the Apex and add the Reeflink later if I feel I need it.

erndog1001
03/07/2014, 05:01 AM
Well I've had my Apex now for like 3 weeks or so and just finally got an MP40 with a WXM for control.
Now I'll admit that programming the Apex as a whole has been a challenge for me. But I had the pump and the WXM up and paired in like 10 min!!
Took about another 20 min to figure out how to use profiles with it.
Pretty easy IMHO. That being said. I'm sticking with ESL for any tuning of my light for now.
I have to agree that atm it does look like the easier way to go. But again thats bc I finally have the right computer and browser to use it.If I was still in the same place I was a month or so ago I'd be using WXM.