PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma flashing after 5 weeks in QT

fifthtoe
02/19/2014, 04:22 PM
I have a royal gramma in qt that just started flashing 5 times in a row last night. It is going on it's 5th week of Cupramine at 0.5ppm (Salifert) and 3 Prazipro treatments. I haven't seen it flash since, but what are some things that would cause this behavior that Cupramine and Prazipro wouldn't treat? Kinda sucks because I was almost ready to put him into the display tank next week.

Newsmyrna80
02/19/2014, 06:33 PM
We're you treating with cupramine for a reason or just prophylactically? Does he have any spots? Were flukes confirmed via FW dip?

Deinonych
02/19/2014, 07:56 PM
My RG flashes every now and then (as in, once every couple of weeks). He had an eye infection when he was in QT, and I figure it still bothers him from time to time even though it is clear. Sometimes fish just get an itch and need to scratch. I would keep an eye on him and keep track of how often it happens.

fifthtoe
02/19/2014, 08:20 PM
Treatment was prophylactic. I never did a freshwater dip but I did see a couple spots on him that cleared up soon after the second prazipro treatment. I haven't seen any spots on him in two or three weeks. I just found it odd that he did it five times in a row.

Newsmyrna80
02/20/2014, 07:51 AM
Flukes will not present as a spot on a fish like crypto. Because they are clear and flat they disappear on the fish. That is until they are exposed to a different salinity, as in a FW dip, where they become opaque.
I agree with Chris, sometimes a fish just has an itch:) Five times in a row is a bit much so keep an eye on him.

MrTuskfish
02/20/2014, 01:53 PM
Although 5 weeks of Cu will almost always get all the parasites, like everything about ich, nothing is 100% This is why I always observe for at least 2-3 weeks after Cu treatment is finished. This sticky by Snorvich shows the problem, you just need the 1st post:http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951 If you need a 2nd round of copper, I'd remove the Cu in the tank, let the fish have some copper-free time, and be sure he's eating well before dosing again. Just a heads up: basslets, like RGs are tough to cure once they develop ich or similar parasites. I have no idea why.

As much as I like copper, I think tank-transfer would offer the best odds of eradicating ich within a given time frame.

Deinonych
04/10/2014, 06:16 PM
How is the RG doing now?