PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep my tank running long-term without refugium, skimmer...

Terrance
02/20/2014, 01:38 AM
I have a 30g for bubble tip anemones and 2 Oscellaris clowns + shrimp/goby pair. No other livestock planned and not even cleanup crew. I will use a 10g sump for the tank to hide ATO, heater, carbon reactor, and maybe intermittent use of filter socks when there are too much particles in the water.

If I do weekly 4g water change and daily maintenance of cleaning rocks or algae scrapings off glass and rocks, then is it possible to run a tank without skimmer, refugium, phosphate/nitrate removing medias?

I will probably use a phosphate removing media for the first few months since new tanks are prone to getting phosphates, but will eventually ditch it.

Perhaps I should consider getting used skimmer off craigslist, but I think its just another equipment that needs cleaning and I could be using that time for more water changes.

terrypercula
02/20/2014, 09:31 AM
Could you do it? Absolutely! With proper maintanance and good husbandry it's absolutely possible. However I definitely suggest a good skimmer. Even if you pick one up cheap it'll save you a lot of trouble.

DBreefs
02/20/2014, 09:46 AM
Could you do it? Absolutely! With proper maintanance and good husbandry it's absolutely possible. However I definitely suggest a good skimmer. Even if you pick one up cheap it'll save you a lot of trouble.

+1 It's certainly doable you will just have to make sure you keep up with the maintenance and frequent water changes.

hersheyb
02/20/2014, 03:34 PM
you'll b fine, as long as you keep your water changes up

Sugar Magnolia
02/20/2014, 03:37 PM
Yes it can be done but you will certainly have more success with a skimmer.

Terrance
02/20/2014, 08:54 PM
I just don't see many builds with long-term success for tank without skimmer/refugium/phosphate&nitrate media. Its kind of discouraging not being able to see these types of builds, but my hopes are high for this upcoming build.

Mussin
02/21/2014, 11:29 AM
I had a 28g cube for about a year then upgraded to my 90. Only filtration was live rock and some filter floss.. Loaded with corals and fish. Just did 5g water changes every other week.

ReeferYork
02/21/2014, 12:15 PM
I just don't see many builds with long-term success for tank without skimmer/refugium/phosphate&nitrate media. Its kind of discouraging not being able to see these types of builds, but my hopes are high for this upcoming build.

The reason you don't typically see that is because of the amount of work that is needed to be done day to day, week to week. Most want a tank that looks awesome and only spend a short amount of time keeping it looking good.

They start off doing the water changes, things get busy and the tank goes south and then it's twice the work to get it back to where it was.

It is very possible though just keep the dedication alive.

UMass14
02/21/2014, 12:54 PM
I have a 29G nano. I am stocking a pair of clowns, some coral, and a decent clean up crew. I am not using a sump or a refugium. I didnt even use a skimmer for the first 2 months and everything was fine. I do a 5G weekly WC and I have not missed a week. I was hooked up with a free HOB skimmer so I gave it a try. Amazingly it was pulling up nasty gunk even with my weekly maintenence. I am now an advocate for using a skimmer. I just wish my skimmer was more quiet. If you keep things simple and take your time I think you can accomplish your goal.

Shia
02/21/2014, 02:55 PM
It definitely can be done, but I personally hate doing weekly water changes. I do 10% every other week. A good skimmer will save you so much headache. I ran a year without one and water changes can do so much, while organic waste will slowly buildup. From fish to coral will thank you for a good skimmer. If no skimmer, I would recommended ATS. I have a rear sump area in my nano that came stock, have been planning a nice little conversion there for ATS.