PDA

View Full Version : Goby safe, herbivore Blenny?

bwhite33
02/20/2014, 09:53 AM
Some, many, all descriptions of blennys mention how great they are, unless the other fish looks like them, prawn gobies and jawfish look similar to me, so are they safe?

Thanks,

bryan

Pife
02/20/2014, 10:40 AM
They aren't in the the family so you should be fine. Jaw fish require At least 6 inches of substrate.

faithenfire
02/20/2014, 12:01 PM
technically, they should be fine

but every fish is different

ReeferBill
02/20/2014, 12:08 PM
I also love my tailspot blenny, he and my yellow clown goby go at it once in a while, but they are pretty peaceful ....

bwhite33
02/20/2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. Any suggestion on algae eating blenny? I'd prefer smaller to larger, but the blenny is the least important creature in the plans.

I was trying to save Steve from yet another question from me, but this is the planned setup:

75 gallon 36X20X24, 6 inches of sand, with one triangular (10x10x10) ceramic ledge held up by a leg/pillar on each corner of the ledge. This ledge would be about 9 inches from the water surface. Other ceramic rock-scaping, low grotto type, to divide up the tank area and provide hiding areas

Planned stocking: (I ran the tank stocking by Steve in the beginners thread.)
- Bonded pair of Randall Shrimp Gobies, with shrimp
- Bonded pair Chinstrap Jawfish
- Sun Corals under the ledge (more in the shade)
- Squamosa Clam on the ledge if feasible to do this, using an LED pendant)
- 1 Yellow Assessor(s)
- 1 Pygmy Wrasse
- Orchid Dottyback

Using snails as CUCs

Pife
02/20/2014, 01:24 PM
most Jawfish like to have a larger substrate then just sand. They need to borrow and sand caves in on it's self.

bwhite33
02/20/2014, 02:03 PM
Yup I was going to add rubble, in piles, so the jawfish could take it, but enough sand to allow the shrimp to dig.