PDA

View Full Version : Anenome with not reef safe fish

fishguy99
02/21/2014, 10:06 PM
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with blue chromis a dwarf zebra lion fish a niger triggerfish a rusty angel a starry blenny and a one spot foxface

I know that some of these fish are not reef safe but was wondering if an anemone would be okay since it stings

davocean
02/21/2014, 10:09 PM
That tank is not near big enough for the fish you have already, put a nem in there as well and yeah, they will get stung since there won't be anywhere to go

Twostepper4041
02/21/2014, 10:11 PM
Dude, need to get rid of most those fish. It's like a glass cage hell for them

ReeferBill
02/21/2014, 10:15 PM
Do you really have a trigger,a fox face,an angel and a loin fish in a 29 gallon tank? What size sump do you have? Or maybe you are planning on a much larger tank in the near future!

Aquat
02/21/2014, 10:18 PM
I think the anemone's 'sting' is the least of your problem.. Don't want to dishearten you but you need to move 4 out of 6 of those fish listed!

A 29g can not house a Dwarf Lion Fish or a Foxface.. not to mention a Triggerfish. Not trying to be blunt or rude, but you should do research next time you intend on making a purchase. It'll save you the headache, money and the specimen's well-being. Good luck!

fishguy99
02/21/2014, 10:37 PM
I am setting up a 75 gallon and will most likely move the fish into that

Fish_King_25
02/21/2014, 10:55 PM
I am setting up a 75 gallon and will most likely move the fish into that

Most likely lol

fishguy99
02/21/2014, 11:10 PM
It is working just fine. There is no aggression to other fish and my water parameters are perfect so I'm going to stick to what works

Aquat
02/21/2014, 11:17 PM
Is it too early to assume this guy is a troll?

fishguy99
02/21/2014, 11:19 PM
Just because i can do what you think is impossible doesn't mean you have to hate on me

reeferstace
02/21/2014, 11:46 PM
If you are looking for someone reputable to say your stocking plan is OK, good luck with that.

You are way overstocked and you have fish that are inappropriate for the size tank you are providing.

twilmot
02/22/2014, 12:30 AM
Like reeferstace said, No one is going to tell you are ok, to add a anemone or anything else to that tank. To be honest no one is even going to look past what you already have in it.

Also, no one is impressed. So your comment about you doing what we think is impossible falls on deaf ears.

What kind of anemone are you going to put in there? A nice Gigantea?

Khemul
02/22/2014, 08:26 AM
Just because i can do what you think is impossible doesn't mean you have to hate on me

No one said it was impossible. More of less likely to work in the long run. We could start a betting pool on potential outcomes...

I say the lion takes out the chromis, the trigger takes out the lion, the anemone takes out the blenny and the foxface eventually attempts to take out the aquarium owner during tank maintenance and gets traded in.

Considering there is nothing in that information that suggests an anemone would even survive in the tank (let alone with the fish), not much of an answer that could be given on that.

julie180
02/22/2014, 08:46 AM
Nothing different than stocking your broom closet with 5 100 pound dogs. Sure, they might live, but what quality of life will they have. This hobby is also about being responsible and doing the right thing by the livestock, not just what "look" good to you.

SaltyTony
02/23/2014, 01:19 AM
In order to put an end to the post let's answer his question.... So...No an anemone would not be a good idea for that tank.... (but since the OP has made poor choices of inhabitants before I am sure a Gigantea may end up in there too.)

Dapg8gt
02/23/2014, 01:31 AM
Really..... No.. And what you have got is not impossible it's inhumane and uneducated..

nazarma
02/23/2014, 01:57 AM
You are a monster man.... don't do that to your fish, having some feeling please.

Mg4life0331
02/23/2014, 06:06 AM
I think you should go ahead and get the anemone. That should alleviate the overstocking problems soon.

Northside Reef
02/23/2014, 09:48 AM
You're giving fishguys 1-98 a bad rep.

Twostepper4041
02/23/2014, 09:51 AM
I'll send you a dog face puffer, and a snowflake eel over as well. I actually can send a 14 gal bio cube for those. Just loop it off your 29 and you will have enough water to sustain 3 blue chromis. Put all the others in the bathtub

DgenR8
02/23/2014, 10:36 AM

In spite of this post, I will attempt to steer you in the right direction.

Keep the Blenny and the Chromis, take the others back to the store that sold them to you. Maybe then, add a pair of clowns and a BTA, providing water quality and lighting are sufficient.

FTDelta
02/23/2014, 11:06 AM
Dude, need to get rid of most those fish. It's like a glass cage hell for them

Even a 75 gallon tank isn't big enough for a trigger fish. You say you're planning on upgrading to a bigger tank I highly doubt you will stick to your word. 9 times out of 10 they don't. Why didn't you start out with a 75 gallon tank to begin with instead of wasting money on a small tank?

Say what you want but I agree with most folks here with your fish stock. If you can't come to terms we're right, I wish you good luck on your tank. I won't be too surprised you will find multiple deaths in due time.

fishguy99
02/23/2014, 08:55 PM
The trigger was just a cycling fish that would stay until to big. Anyway he is gone now. After putting $200 into my 75 gallon i am not just going to quit now. When that is up i will move the foxface into it. I will keep the 29 gallon going with smaller fish.

Spyderturbo007
02/24/2014, 12:47 PM
Nice. Not only are you jamming large fish into a tiny tank, but we are cycling with them as well.

Please do the right thing by the animals and remove them from a tank that is clearly too small and give them a better home somewhere else. Cycling a tank with fish is cruel and frowned upon. Please don't subject them to that unnecessary pain.

Nina51
02/24/2014, 01:01 PM
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with blue chromis a dwarf zebra lion fish a niger triggerfish a rusty angel a starry blenny and a one spot foxface

I know that some of these fish are not reef safe but was wondering if an anemone would be okay since it stings

i gotta not read crap like this when i'm at work. people look at me funny when i say stuff like "WTH?? are you NUTS??" out loud.

if you are real, and i have my doubts because i'm not sure ANYbody who has done even the basic research about sw tanks would try this combination of fish, i hope you take the advice you've been given here.

you aren't the same guy who was here a few months ago trying to impress his girlfriend with his saltwater prowess, are you? :headwally:

petere1989
02/24/2014, 01:04 PM
I think you should go ahead and get the anemone. That should alleviate the overstocking problems soon.

+1. to bad for the fish though

petere1989
02/24/2014, 01:08 PM
i gotta not read crap like this when i'm at work. people look at me funny when i say stuff like "WTH?? are you NUTS??" out loud.

if you are real, and i have my doubts because i'm not sure ANYbody who has done even the basic research about sw tanks would try this combination of fish, i hope you take the advice you've been given here.

you aren't the same guy who was here a few months ago trying to impress his girlfriend with his saltwater prowess, are you? :headwally:

Actually I know somebody who's done about this bad. A niger trigger, yellow tang, orange flame angle, clownfish, a green wrasse, and and sail fin tang all in a 75. Its a very similar situation. It belongs to my hair cutter, i had to take care of his tank for a while when he had knee surgery and man, i hated it. I felt so bad for the fish. Not only that but he toped his water off with saltwater and his salinity was sky high, but I can't say anything because its not my tank. I took my own ro water and tried to dilute the water but it was so salty that by the time i got it close, his knee had healed.

fishguy99
02/24/2014, 01:27 PM
Im sorry i said that wrong it was not my cycling fish but my first fish in the tank as to make sure it was ok to put others in. My live rock in the tank did the cycling and like i said the trigger is gone now

BigCountry74
02/24/2014, 02:06 PM
That tank is not near big enough for the fish you have already, put a nem in there as well and yeah, they will get stung since there won't be anywhere to go

X10

Holy cow...lol I am amazing the foxface has not jumped out yet. Those are some sketchy fish!!

Talf
03/04/2014, 10:11 PM
If you can't offer help, it's best you offer nothing

rlm2005
03/04/2014, 10:47 PM
Im sorry i said that wrong it was not my cycling fish but my first fish in the tank as to make sure it was ok to put others in. My live rock in the tank did the cycling and like i said the trigger is gone now

And a trigger was your first choice for this? Gone? Dead or traded back to the store?

DgenR8
03/05/2014, 01:54 AM

:thumbsup:

johnike
03/05/2014, 05:37 AM
And shame on the LFS that sold these fish if they knew they were going in such a small tank.
:(

Texanjordan
03/05/2014, 08:38 AM
I think you should add a really big lionfish to the tank, that will eliminate the problem of having too many fish.

DgenR8
03/05/2014, 08:57 AM
I think you should add a really big lionfish to the tank, that will eliminate the problem of having too many fish.

[chimp]

Texanjordan
03/05/2014, 09:42 AM
It was a joke, remember the one about having an issue with a mouse so you add a cat, then you add a dog to get rid of the cat, and you add a lion to get rid of the dog, and an elephant to get rid of the lion, so on and so forth...

Dummyforclownfi
03/05/2014, 10:52 AM
I like how people fish throw out judgement before giving an answer or some don't even give an answer at all. Why not answer his question then "suggest" to him that his aquarium is far too small for the fish he has now and "recommend" that he gets rid of some, for the safety of the fish. I'm sure he would appreciate that a lot more.

nrbelk
03/05/2014, 06:07 PM
Ya, all the stupid/mean-spirited remarks are pretty lame. Instead of bashing, more would be accomplished by calm reasoning. If you use an exclamation mark in a post (or all caps "shudder"), its not calm reasoning and will only help make people more defensive, producing more issues.

So instead of "Get those fish out of there now!", I think "Huh, that's an interesting combo of fish for that tank. I've read that those fish will get large fast and should be placed into a larger tank, like 150 gallons, to keep their stress levels down". Would go farther. And if not, both comments will get the exact same result, they'll either listen or not, but the second one is so much more civil.

nrbelk
03/05/2014, 06:10 PM
As for his/her question, I would say that in this case its not a good idea as with such small spaces, those larger fish are bound to get stung. While those fish probably won't pick on the anemone, I would be more concerned for the fish in this size of a tank. Most anemone's can get really large.

As for the fish that are listed, I've read that most of those either get large fast (I have a rabbit fish (related to foxface) that has grown an inch in the last month I've had it) or needs lots of swimming room.

fishguy99
03/05/2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the help trigger was given to lfs that just decided to put him in another 30 gallon

pufferpoison
03/05/2014, 07:07 PM
Most LFS, will sell the customer what they want. That's kinda how sales goes. I was a title II (class III / Machine Gun / Suppressor / manufacturer) dealer and people would come in all the time wanting to get grandma that Scandinavian frame lightweight 357 magnum or the keltec pocket 380 that was going to blast her hand off when she shot it and you would try to reason with them to explain about how that wasn't the right gun for her, but in the end, they were a paying customer and unless you want to be in business for a very short time, you have to sell them what they say they want.

It always surprises me when I see ppl talk about the LFS that sold them something like that can't believe they sold them that. They are there for one reason and it's as green as some healthy cheato.

To the OP, the people on here are right, maybe weren't kind and could have been a little more subtle, but we are a passionate people that do care for the fish and corals and the hobby and when we hear stories like this, it upsets us. It's basically like putting 6-8 guys in a 4x8 room for their lives. Yeah they probably will live, but what about their quality of life?

I would really read past the hatefulness of some of the posts and listen to what they have to say. We have all made mistakes and that's why most of us are here in the first place, is to learn and find out how to do things the right way. So trade the guys in for now, and when you get your other tank up and running (remember cycling and all before fish should be around 6 weeks or more) then get a few of the guys that won't outgrow that tank.

and please don't ever use a fish to cycle a tank. buy some pure ammonia or get a piece or two of shrimp (dead stuff) and let it rot and cycle your tank. There were a group of people several years ago that used other people for cycling (experimenting), they were called Nazis. Remember everything alive feels pain, nothing should have to suffer, unfortunately too few understand this concept or our little rock in this big galaxy would far be a better place to live.

johnike
03/05/2014, 09:00 PM
Some nice refreshing posts guys, thanks.

fishguy99
03/05/2014, 09:25 PM
The 75 gallon will be up soon and the fox face is small enough for the time being. When the 75 is cycled I will add the foxface to that. I lost the angel to ick after adding a firefish and will probably leave the tank where it is at when the foxface moves out

pufferpoison
03/05/2014, 09:35 PM
Cool, I know it sounds like everyone on here is against you, NOT TRUE.

I am 3 weeks into a fishless system cause of ich / velvet and have another 7 weeks to go before adding any fish.

I hope all works out with your tank and you, like myself, can learn from our mistakes.

Good luck and just remember to come to a quality place like this before you purchase any fish and ask the pro's around here what will and won't work in your tank size. I know you, just like me, won't like all the answers you get.

Back in '06, I was ****ed and really hating RC when they said a 48" 90 gallon wasn't enough room for a blue hippo tang. I thought they were some stuck up know it all douchbags that just wanted to ruin my dream tank. They weren't and they were right and just trying to save the fish some discomfort, pain and suffering. I found out later than pretty much any tang swims a great deal looking for food and to put it in a 4 foot tank was basically torture.

You might not like hearing the truth, but you have to respect it. I truly hope you succeed with your tank and take some advice (friendly sounding or not, it's still good advice).

Trust me, most of these guys on here have forgotten more than you and me will ever know. They aren't here to ruin your day, they are here to help.

Twostepper4041
03/07/2014, 09:09 PM
Let me be the first to appologize for my not so nice comments... Not that it's a excuse, but I'm going through some nitrate issues in my tank from over feeding, and some regrets on the bio load I currently have.... Pair that with ambien and being on reef central at 11pm.... Down right crazy!

Again, I can't believe what you have in that small cube, and would have thought some better research would have been done... But that's no excuse for me being a complete *** to you

Good luck in your reefing my friend

KKCO

fishguy99
03/07/2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. Lost it all to ick except a clown the lionfish and the chromis kinda expecting to lose a chromis tonight and know the clown is gone within the hour

fishguy99
03/07/2014, 09:40 PM

Also apoligize for this post i was kinda upset about the resposes i was getting