PDA

View Full Version : Officially Declaring My Orange Tail Trigger "REEF SAFE"

Tutormonster
02/22/2014, 11:33 AM
Well, it's been a year.

My orange tail trigger is now the proud owner of a certificate that reads, "reef safe."

I've always loved triggers, but when I decided to do a mixed reef, I went triggerless for a while. Someone mentioned to me he had a pink tail which was good to the creatures in his tank - and when a friend was downsizing I took a chance with his 6 month old orange tail trigger that he was looking to rehome.

A year later - The trigger has never bothered a single thing in the tank. I have 50 snails, 25 hermit crabs, mushrooms, polyps, a torch and a leather coral -and - get this - 6 peppermint shrimp. He actually sleeps near the shrimp and occasionally will let them clean him.

So - he's officially reef safe. He refuses to wear his certificate around his neck though.

DjScRiBbLe
02/22/2014, 11:39 AM
I believe that's a pink tail and are know to be reef safe like blue throats. Congrats on the success your having with it tho.

Tutormonster
02/22/2014, 11:41 AM
Well - his tail is definitely bright orange - not pink - although I must admit I'm having trouble finding a scientific classification of him different from a pink tail. No doubt about the color though.

DjScRiBbLe
02/22/2014, 12:03 PM
Its a pink tail trigger. Just because the name implies pink doesn't mean it can't have an orange hue

Tutormonster
02/22/2014, 12:07 PM
Ah...understood. Thank you.

DjScRiBbLe
02/22/2014, 12:12 PM
Yup, nice trig though. I have blue throat in a mixed reef and wouldn't mind a pink tail as well.

humaguy
02/22/2014, 12:33 PM
pinktail...reefsafe...but he will pick off the hermits and snails from time to time...

chipchip
02/22/2014, 03:14 PM
How big is your tank? And what tanksize do you recommend for a pinktail trigger? Btw. awesome fish you have there.

Tutormonster
02/22/2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks...he's great. I have a 125 with a 37 gallon sump. He's in there with a pair of clowns, two tabs, a purple pseudo, a royal gramma and two.chromises. plis..a ton of snails, crabs, shrimp and live rock. He swims the length of the tank all day long do I think length is a more important consideration than overall volume. This is a six foot tank.

Deinonych
02/22/2014, 05:54 PM
Its a pink tail trigger. Just because the name implies pink doesn't mean it can't have an orange hue

+1

Looks like Melichthys vidua to me. Agree that their tails are not always "pink."