PDA

View Full Version : New Golden Assessors

walt13
02/22/2014, 04:26 PM
Picked up 2 for $25 a piece. they started eating right away in QT.

fishysteve
02/22/2014, 07:28 PM
Any pics?

CedzAquAddictio
02/22/2014, 07:36 PM
That's a hell of a price too. Where did you find them?

gsiegel
02/22/2014, 08:09 PM
Just an fyi- looked them up on LA and they recommend only 1 per tank (ship the other to me?)
How big is your tank?

walt13
02/22/2014, 08:12 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/walty13/GoldAssesssor1_zps7c238c71.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/walty13/media/GoldAssesssor1_zps7c238c71.jpg.html)
I havnt posted a pic in a while so this might not have worked. I picked them up at Petco. They were having 25% off all saltwater fish. I know people disapprove but they were captive bred which I like to support. Other places say they are ok more than 1 per tank. I have a 55 that I am planning on upgrading to 90 or 120.

Daniel62
02/23/2014, 12:03 AM
good score:)

fishysteve
02/23/2014, 05:23 AM
Very nice

walt13
02/23/2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks they are always out in the open. I almost passed on them after reading people experiences here like- Only see him once a month, very shy always hiding, etc. Maybe being CB they are different but thiese guys are always out front and center. Have not seen them duck and hide yet. Not feeding as well as I thought. After watching them closely they spit out a lot of the brine shrimp. They seem to eat the smaller pieces but I think it is good that they always attack the food they just seem to spit most back out.
Walt

Reef Frog
02/23/2014, 10:45 AM
Yea great price. Awesome little fish. With enough space you can keep small groups. They don't fight but every once in a while they will dart at each other. Just make sure they have plenty of hiding places.

They will stay out in the open but will retreat to the safety of the rocks from time to time However if other fish are aggressive to them, they will spend a lot of time in the rocks. I have a mated pair of Purple Fire fish that rule my tank, always out front. At feeding time they will dart at the Assessors trying to push them back into the rock.

MikeandNicole
02/23/2014, 09:53 PM
They can be kept in groups and in fact it is really cool. Given the price, they probably were the captive bred ones from Ora. Apparently they have hit some précis here in nj as we'll. I would just qt the heck out of them. Are local percolator has good selection and a knowledgable staff, but I still don't trust them.

MikeandNicole
02/24/2014, 12:11 AM
By percolator and precis he meant petco.

humaguy
02/24/2014, 08:36 AM
have seen a few up here too...cool lil fish..

walt13
02/24/2014, 12:16 PM
They are fun to watch in QT swimming in all different directions. sideways, upside down they just dont seem to care. Kind of thinking maybe doing a mini reef with just the 2 of them unless they fight than just 1. I dont trust Petco for info but he one by me almost always has clean tanks, no dead fish and the employees all seem to enjoy talking about the fish.

Elysia
02/26/2014, 04:45 PM
I've had my ORA yellow Assessor for years now, and I love that little guy. Especially the beautiful colors that edge all the fins -- greens and oranges. It does go into the rock work all of the time, but I only have to be in front of the tank for 30 seconds before it is hanging right out in front, usually at some strange angle.
Almost all of my planktivores take in a lot of food and then spit a percentage of it out... I do not know if it is my food, or if it is a "thing" with planktivores.
That is a great price for ORA assessors. I might have to check out the petco every once in a while. I've wanted a Randalls for years now...

hvacman250
02/26/2014, 06:06 PM
I picked up two from Petco Sunday during the 25% off sale too. I had a 20% off coupon on top of that. Mine are doing well in QT, too.

Since they are CB, can we assume they came from ORA?

Trichome
02/27/2014, 03:38 PM
I have two ORA yellow assessors in my 118g tank. One is much bigger than the other. I think i might have a pair. I also have a ORA Randell's assessor in the same tank. They all seem to get a long fine. I feed my tank a ton of different foods as its a non-photosynthetic tank. From what i can tell the assessors do tend to like smaller foods and they do sometimes spit out their food. They are always out in my tank, which could be due to the lack of any aggressive fish and a really dim tank. All around great fish!

walt13
02/27/2014, 05:17 PM
I really enjoy watching them float around in all different directions. They kind of remind me of watching otters just having fun swimming.
Glad to see someone else take advantage of the Petco sale on fish especially CB fish. They seem to spitting out less and less now.