PDA

View Full Version : Does macroalgae die when there is already no phosphates and nitrates?

sarahlovesfish
02/22/2014, 09:20 PM
Yesterday I checked water quality. Everything good. Nitrates and phosphates at 0. But i noticed that the macroalgae shrank and is white at the tips. Is it dying? Since phosphates and nitrates are non existent, the algae has nothing to eat. Plus I have phosban. Should I remove it? Since I have no problems I am thinking of letting the algae do the work. Plus, if this makes any difference, I turn light on at night and off in the daytime. whats your advice?

d2mini
02/22/2014, 10:32 PM
Yes, macros need nutrients.
So do coral.

ReeferBill
02/22/2014, 10:35 PM
Even if you get zero readings the macro has phos, and nits locked up in it. The white tips could be new growth.

tmz
02/23/2014, 09:53 AM
All the organisms need phosphate and nitrogen along with other nutrients and elements . Organisms have varying limitation levels;that is, some need more/less of a particualr nutrient than others and will wane when any one is in short supply for their particular needs.(see Liebig's law of the minimum) Some algae are copiotrophic( live in high nutrient water ) some are oligotrophic ( do fine in low nutrient water) ; all need some nutrients as does the other life in an aquarium .

bertoni
02/23/2014, 09:58 PM
You might be seeing some die-back. That's certainly possible. I'd just watch for signs of a more massive die-off, and remove the alga if that happens.

firebirdude
02/23/2014, 10:31 PM
I ran macro algae for awhile. Then bought and ran a GFO reactor, macro algae died completely in about three days. So I'd say you're right on the money. Your anti-phosphate strategy is killing your macro algae.

tmz
02/23/2014, 11:12 PM
What type of macro algae?