PDA

View Full Version : which skimmer?

njohnson
02/22/2014, 10:18 PM
I am looking into 2 different types of hob skimmers a coralife for 65 gallon and a seaclone 100 i cannot do a sump keep in mind and i havea rather tight budget. if anyone has experiences with them or reccomend something different with around same price of like 80 to 120 and quiet? thanks!

dublo8
02/22/2014, 11:11 PM
Save your money and buy something good. Those are both junk and you get what you pay for. . The seaclone is the laughing stock of the skimmer world. Pretty much anything is better than those two. Reef octopus, JNS, bubble magus, aquaC etc. all make good HOB skimmers. Check out craigslist or our for sale section for a deal on a descent skimmer. Good luck,

njohnson
02/22/2014, 11:33 PM
well i dont have the time nor the money to buy one im not going to overstock my tank anyways

ReeferNC
02/23/2014, 12:06 AM
Reef Octopus is the bare minimum of a decent reliable skimmer at a bargain of a deal. Honestly ebay is a pretty safe place to pick one up for cheap as long as you look into the seller before buying. I picked up a NWB-110 for my 75 gallon reef tank and only spent $180. The NWB isn't a HOB skimmer, but there are comparable Reef Octopus skimmers that are HOB for around the same price.

GOT_REEF
02/23/2014, 12:08 AM
I have the 65 coral life on my 20g frag tank, it pulls a decent amount of skimmate out of the water.

Greatreefer
02/23/2014, 12:23 AM
I've used seaclone skimmers in the past but they are kind of hit or miss when it comes to really pulling out skimmate people used to mod these skimmers to work better. Also, another thing to point out is The way that the skimmer is designed you run the risk of it leaking. They may have fixed this in the newer models but regardless I'd still check it from time to time.

I'm kinda with dublo8 on this one. invest in quality equipment. You will sleep better at night trust me on this... LOL!

But, if you wanna give either a try, GO FOR IT! =)

dublo8
02/23/2014, 06:11 PM
well i dont have the time nor the money to buy one im not going to overstock my tank anyways

Thats understandable but just understand that both of those skimmers have been the source of many frustrated reefers. I have had both. Trust me. Stick with just water changes for now, save your money and buy something semi decent.