PDA

View Full Version : refugium question:

Greatreefer
02/22/2014, 10:28 PM
I'm in the process of piecing together a new reef system. With this new system however, I would really like to attempt something different. I want to display my refugium yet, hide all the other equipment. here's what I'm envisioing for this build, utilizing three different displays one for the skimmer and return pump one for the refugium and the other one for the filter socks. All three systems would be connected via bulk heads this way the display tank water gets pushed through the fuge.

Please, I want to know what people think of this idea good, bad or, even crazy for that matter.
For those who are visual, I will be in the process of drawing some schematics tonight and Ill try to post it tomorrow at some point.

thanks in advance for the input.

ReeferNC
02/22/2014, 11:10 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you want to display not only your display tank, but your refugium also? Sounds like a cool idea but I gotta wonder if it's worth the added hassle. If it were worth it, I feel like I would have already seen it done.

Greatreefer
02/22/2014, 11:29 PM
Ive been doing google searches trying to find this one that I DID SEE. It looked actually really awesome. but, again.. Ive never been able to locate it sense. =S

oh well, ill just keep on looking.

Greatreefer
02/22/2014, 11:30 PM
so if i understand you correctly, you want to display not only your display tank, but your refugium also? Sounds like a cool idea but i gotta wonder if it's worth the added hassle. If it were worth it, i feel like i would have already seen it done.

exactly!

Greatreefer
02/22/2014, 11:46 PM
here's an example of what i want to attempt.

reefbrian123
02/22/2014, 11:51 PM
Julian sprung has it u can see it on mrsaltwatertanktv show I think it looks awesome.

ReeferNC
02/23/2014, 06:07 AM
It seems like your best bet would be to set everything up as you typically would and simply cut the hole in your stand to line up with the refugium. The addition of using black acrylic in your refugium would ensure that you didn't see any peripherials.

Greatreefer
02/23/2014, 07:57 AM
It seems like your best bet would be to set everything up as you typically would and simply cut the hole in your stand to line up with the refugium. The addition of using black acrylic in your refugium would ensure that you didn't see any peripherials.

yeah, that was the idea. However, to accomplish this the refugium needs have to be larger than your standard run of the mill fuge.

Greatreefer
02/23/2014, 08:02 AM
so, here's another question: if the sump return is 2-2.5" then would I want to run 3" bulkheads through all three tanks or, could I get away with running 2"? Also, what do you think of using ball valves on either side of the fuge or does that really matter?

ReeferNC
02/23/2014, 08:38 PM
I would assume that the larger the bulkhead the better. High flow in the display but low flow through the fuge.