PDA

View Full Version : Coralline introduction to dry rock question.

stealthspy589
02/23/2014, 12:42 AM
I'm going to be starting my cycle soon. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR but a few soft coral later. I'm putting in 50-60lbs of base rock and maybe 5-10 pounds of live rock. I got lucky on CL and picked up 141lbs of reef sand so I'll do a 3-4" sandbed. My question is with the rock I'm cycling. Do I indroduce coralline scrapings and small rocks with the other rock & sand or after the cycle is complete? I'm not quite sure

Thank you!
Cheers

nlgill13
02/23/2014, 01:10 AM
Good question...I would suggest to cycle all the rock at once. It makes it easier later on to have everything fully aquascaped before the cycle is completed. As for coralline, most likely some of the live rock you buy will have some on it already (which means you probably don't need to add any).

You most likely at some point will by a rock or two with coral on it (but this will be after the cycle is completed). These rocks will already be cycled and can be put into the tank after they have been dipped in CoralRx or some other dipping solution.

Hopefully this helps

bnumair
02/23/2014, 01:33 AM
cycle the rock, then get the chemistry right and stable, key is stable. cal alk and mag needs to be dead on and stable at all times. then you may introduce a small piece of rock with coraline on it and place it infront of the power head or high flow area and watch it grow.
Note: need good strong lights for it to grow as well.

stealthspy589
02/23/2014, 01:18 PM
Good question...I would suggest to cycle all the rock at once. It makes it easier later on to have everything fully aquascaped before the cycle is completed. As for coralline, most likely some of the live rock you buy will have some on it already (which means you probably don't need to add any).

You most likely at some point will by a rock or two with coral on it (but this will be after the cycle is completed). These rocks will already be cycled and can be put into the tank after they have been dipped in CoralRx or some other dipping solution.

Hopefully this helps

It does help thank you. As for the live rock with coral, do you mean like the live rock with polyps on it? I didn't know that could be added after the cycle I thought I had to wait.

I'll look more into dipping then :D

cycle the rock, then get the chemistry right and stable, key is stable. cal alk and mag needs to be dead on and stable at all times. then you may introduce a small piece of rock with coraline on it and place it infront of the power head or high flow area and watch it grow.
Note: need good strong lights for it to grow as well.

I'll make sure to practice good husbandry with the tank I want it's long term survival my number 1 priority.
As for lighting I'm using 2x 54w blues and 2x 54w 10k t5 system.

nlgill13
02/23/2014, 01:25 PM
yep, you should wait until after the cycle to add any rocks with polyps on them. What I was trying to get at is that you will end up putting in some extra rocks in at some point but for the most part you want to have all your aquascaping done before the cycle ends :D.

dhjunkie
02/23/2014, 03:05 PM
Coralline will come on the shells of your cuc too.

stealthspy589
02/23/2014, 04:16 PM
True true thanks a bunch guys :D