PDA

View Full Version : High levels (except alk) - need advice

tekman78
02/23/2014, 10:00 AM
I'm trying to get consistent so I decided to purchase the BRS 2-part dosing pumps. I've been testing my water daily prior to implementing the pumps and I'm having some issues with high levels of calc and mag, and low levels of alk and ph. I'm trying to figure everything out manually before automating. To this point, I'd dose 30-50ml of BRS 2-part daily, equal of both parts. I didn't test on a regular basis. I did a water change 1.5 weeks ago and haven't dosed anything since then, in the hopes I could get my levels down. Here is what I tested this morning:

Alk: 2 meq/l (was 3-3.25 when I was dosing daily)
Calc: 470 ppm (this has been consistently high)
Mag: 1450 ppm (was up in the 1500's prior to water change)
pH: 8.1 (was 8.2-8.3 when I was dosing daily)

I'm using Seachem pH/Alk test kit. And I'm using Salifert Calc and Mag test kits. All test kits are creeping on expiration. I did compare with a friends same test kits, that aren't as close to expiration.

My questions are:

1. Should I get new test kits?
2. What kits are recommended?
3. If new kits test the same, what can I do to get my calc and mag down?
4. Is 2-part the best recommendation to get my alk and pH up at this time?

I want to use 2-part to use my pumps to dose on a daily basis, once I get this figured out. I have mostly soft corals, with a large LPS branching hammer and somewhat small chalice. Neither the hammer or chalice really thrive. They were declining months ago prior to my consistent dosing. Now they seem to be just surviving. I also lost a frogspawn 8 months ago prior to consistent dosing.

I want to be able to dose equal amounts of 2-part once I use the pumps, like I thought I should be able to do.

If there is any more information I can provide, please let me know. I really appreciate anyone's help. I'm tired of my tank surviving, I want it to thrive. It's 120 gallons, if it matters.

Thanks.

ReeferBill
02/23/2014, 10:14 AM
How long has your tank been up? My test kit for alk is measured in drops where 8-12 drops for resulting color change is good ..what kind of filtration and skimmer is running"? Plus what is your water change amount and how often ? What is your fish load?

tekman78
02/23/2014, 10:49 AM
Tank is 120 gallon with 40 gallon sump. Minus sand and rock, I'm probably at about 120 gallons of water.

Tank has been up since Jan 2012.

Sump holds ASM G3 skimmer in first chamber (with filter sock on initial return). Fuge with mud and rock in center chamber. Pura filtration pad in overflow in last chamber, with carbon and GFO also filtered in the last chamber.

I'm at 4 drops today (hence 2 meq/l). Want to get to 4 meq/l, which would be 8 drops - fully understood.

Water change every 3-4 weeks, and I do between 20-30 gallons. I use Salinity salt (for about the last year). Used to use Tropic Marin, but switched to Salinity due to low levels in the past.

Fish load is:

1 med/lg sailfin
2 sm/med ocellaris clownfish
1 med/lg midas blenny
1 small sixline wrasse
1 small purple dottyback
2 small green chromis

Nitrates and phosphates seem to be under control - no algae issues currently.

tmz
02/23/2014, 11:33 AM
I dn't know if you you are getting accurate readings from your test kits or not.

I use salifert for calcium, magnesium, alkaliity. I also use a hanah checker for alk.

For pH , I rely on a pinpoint monitor.

magnesium at 1500ppm won't hurt anything,ime.
Calcium at 470ppm is ok.
Alk is low. I'd raise it with the alk part of your two part or just use some baking soda. Then resume balanced dosing.

tekman78
02/23/2014, 02:55 PM
My concern once I get my alk and pH up is going equal parts of 2-part. If calc is already high and I have issues getting it down, wouldn't doing equal parts keep alk level where I want it, but cause calc to rise?

It seems I'm not using enough calc to lower it at near the rate that alk drops (though I understand alk is always first to drop).

I've never babysat my levels so closely, so I want to make sure I don't cause calc to continue to rise.

Seems simple, but would adding more LPS or SPS help deplete my calc and mag at a faster rate? Or a clam? I don't really want to introduce these items unless it makes sense to help calc and mag deplete more on par with the rate of alk depletion. And I don't want to waste my money buying these things if they won't help or are at risk of croaking in my current scenario.

If I'm going to automate my 2 part dosing with pumps, I want to make sure I'm not raising calc while keeping alk nice and level. I'd have each on their own timer, but I don't want have to test daily to see what is occurring - else I may as well not even use the pumps.

If what I'm saying doesn't make sense, please correct my concerns. Thanks.

bertoni
02/23/2014, 10:01 PM
You would need to dose only the alkalinity part of the 2-part, or use some baking soda. Either would be fine. I'd probably get a second opinion on the test kits, just in case.

Reefvet
02/23/2014, 10:16 PM
Time for new test kits or you're just guessing. As will anybody who replies here.

tekman78
02/24/2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll get alk and pH back up and take a sample to my LFS to compare with my kits, and will buy new test kits if needed.

But, is the consensus that you dose equal parts in most cases, regardless of depletion inequalities in calc and alk readings?

I know that's the general instruction by the manufacturers, but wondering if that's real world.

klwheat
02/24/2014, 12:35 PM
Another thought, unless I'm mistaken, once you get your alk up (either with the alk from 2part or baking soda) your calcium and mag will both drop a bit. This might get the balance you're looking for to start with.

bertoni
02/24/2014, 12:42 PM
The calcium and magnesium levels should be the same after alkalinity dosing, within our measurement limits, unless the alkalinity is badly overdosed or dosed into a small volume of water. The amount lost to precipitation is very tiny if the dosing is done reasonably well.

tmz
02/24/2014, 03:24 PM
This may help: Alk and calcium are consumed via th precipitation of calium carbonate in the form of coral skelton, mollusks shells, coraline algae and other calcareous organisms ;some precipitation may occur abiotically when alk, calium and pH are high enough as well.
Precipitation of caclium carbonate whether biotic or abiotic uses both carbonate alkainity and clacium as well as a bit of magnesium. The ratio in calcium carbonate pecipitant is approximately 50ppm ( 1 dkh) of alkalinity to 20ppm calcium. Two part mixes are designed to match that ratio. You can use one part to raise either the calcium or carbonate to a desired level and then resume 2 part dosing to match consumptyion.