PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon Frag RTN

alten78
02/23/2014, 03:10 PM
Afternoon folks, as the title states, I have a new red dragon frag that I picked up at a swap yesterday RTN'ing.

I picked up 10 frags yesterday, drip acclimated and all positioned on the sandbed. Everything appears to be happy except for this, which I just noticed a few minutes ago.

I just replaced the bulb on my 250W MH (14k aqua medic) so its only seen roughly 4 hours of light in my tank. I just moved it over to the other side of the tank in a lower flow area still low in the tank under 4 month old 250W phoenix.

Water params tested this morning:
Cal - 480
Alk - 8.0
Mag 1280
Nitrate - 0
SG - 1.026

As you can see its only about an inch, do I try to cut off the tiny bit that hasn't been affected?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/alten78/IMG_20140223_154909_573_zpso8utnump.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/alten78/media/IMG_20140223_154909_573_zpso8utnump.jpg.html)

Dapg8gt
02/23/2014, 03:16 PM
I've had good luck putting super glue over the edges of the tissue. It's worth a shot to try to save it. I would go around the entire base of the tissue fwiw.

I've saved quite a few new corals that way most impressive to me was my cali tort. It went from about 3" to 1 over the course of a few days. Smothered gel all around the whole frag base of tissue and a year later it's doing great.

Red dragon are a little finicky and sensitive to dipping so possible that it was from the dip or just stress. I have mine in the lower part of my tank in good flow and about 250 par. I've only had it a few months ordered from copps but it's a fast grower for sure.. Good luck =)

alten78
02/23/2014, 03:46 PM
will do, thanks!

cpllongjk
02/23/2014, 04:13 PM
Who mounted the frag? Did you mount it or was it mounted on that plug you received at the swap.

If you got it like that at the swap then someone didn't do their job and let the frag heal before taking it to the swap. I don't see any encrusting on the frag at all. All I see is super glue or epoxy where the frag touches the plug.

As the previous poster mentioned, try super gluing where the RTN is occurring and see if it stops it, if not, get ready to frag that piece quickly and hope that works.

alten78
02/23/2014, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately, that is how it came, that thought definitely crossed my mind. Luckily, almost all of the other frags I picked up are on encrusted (or at least a start) plugs.

trueblackpercula
02/23/2014, 11:06 PM
I would say you should check into your nutrient problem as this is proabally the direct cause of you RTN.

alten78
02/24/2014, 07:48 AM
When you say nutrient problem, can you elaborate? I wasn't aware of one :) Im using a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit (not sure how accurate it is) but nitrates and phosphates aren't registering and im not seeing any nuisance algae in the tank either. I was just thinking of increasing feeding (light bioload) and turning off the carbon to try to get deeper colors.

scottwhitson
02/24/2014, 09:59 AM
I don't think it is a nutrient issue that is causing the RTN. I would bet on a change in ALK from the suppliers tank to yours. Best bet is to try the superglue and hope for the best.

alten78
02/24/2014, 12:26 PM
Buggers...did the superglue route but it was completely gone by this morning. Disappointing for sure, i was really looking forward to that particular piece. Thanks for the advice, all.

gdemos
02/24/2014, 12:47 PM
this piece is perhaps more 'sensitive' to dips than others. I dip w/Bayer, and for red dragon, other smooth skins, echinatas etc. I do and would suggest half potency and half time for the dip. not to be a basher, but new frag, to frag swap, to dip, to display tank is a stressful scenario. so all parameters, flow, lighting aside ... the red dragon can wear her stress on her sleeve regardless.

kevinl
02/24/2014, 12:48 PM
I tried 2 frags in last 6 months, parameters stable.
1st frag I dipped and it was gone in 3 days, 2nd try I was told to never dip these.
No dip on 2nd frag and it is doing great today.
Just my experience, thought I would share.

AkoAung
02/24/2014, 01:55 PM
Bought a newly arrived colony from LFS. It went from the farm's bag to the LFS tank to my tank in a space of 6 hours travelling in cold weather (car was heated and in insulated box). had RTN in 12 hours, starting from the bottom. Tried to frag the unaffected parts. they lasted another 12 hrs. gone. This was an established colony, not a newly glued frag.

coincidentally its cousin dragon eyes/pacman from the same shipment, is fine.

trueblackpercula
02/24/2014, 04:01 PM
Nutrients meaning not enough.

tuawcxs
02/24/2014, 04:44 PM
I think its just the one that got too stressed out and did make the move. I get SPS frags from my LFS that has Alk at 12+ and have to acclimate down to 7.4. Who knows what the Alk is from his wholesaler. Its pretty much a crapshoot when moving corals between tanks. I would brake the frag up and hope one of the smaller portions survive. It happens with freshly made frags and encrusted ones.

trueblackpercula
02/24/2014, 05:29 PM
Can you post pictures of you other Sps and a few of the rocks?

alten78
02/24/2014, 07:32 PM
Saw this late, ill try to snap a few pics with my terrible camera phone tomorrow after work. One day ill get myself a nice camera (been saying that for 10 years.)

I'll agree, it is nutrient poor...

trueblackpercula
02/24/2014, 08:02 PM
Saw this late, ill try to snap a few pics with my terrible camera phone tomorrow after work. One day ill get myself a nice camera (been saying that for 10 years.)

I'll agree, it is nutrient poor...

Its only nutrient poor on paper because the algea mask the true readings. From the looks of the picture some of your other sps look pale or browned out. not to mention that ther eare signs of algea growing on your rock work. your tank needds more nutrients and one way would be to increase feedings but dont opver do it. Also check your skimmer to see if its pulling out to much to fast. remember its a balnacing act that even i dont have down yet but getting there. Please post pictures whrn you can

Michale