PDA

View Full Version : Overflow drain advice

breeze
02/23/2014, 06:29 PM
Been a while since I've been here on RC. I am currently in the process of having a custom glass aquarium built. The dimensions are 70"L x 36"H x 34.5" D. It will be set up as a 360 degree view tank. I have the drawings attached below. The overflow will be a dual overflow with separate overflow boxes and a "dry" chamber in the center to allow for electrical, ventilation, etc to go through the center of the tank. There are going to be 1 3/4 and 2 3/4 inch holes drilled at the bottom of each overflow.
My question is, how would you recommend plumbing the drains? Should I do a herbie with a siphon on one overflow box and an open standpipe on the other box with a return in each box? Or should I do a bean animal with a siphon and emergency on one side and an open standpipe and single return on the other side?
The tank has not been built or drilled yet, so things can be changed.

breeze
02/24/2014, 06:00 AM
Morning bump

SGT_York
02/24/2014, 08:24 AM
I would not recommend planning a siphon system with dual overflows. They need to be individually balanced to work properly, they are more complicated and less effective than a single overflow. My recommendation is to use one overflow by joining them together or just be removing the second altogether. (adjust both so the box is still centered) Then run a 3 pipe herbie (same effect as a Bean Animal)

You can do two siphons but there are many issues with doing two overflows. (only use two if your tank is set up like that if you can choose go with one)
Formost is the overflows if equal heights will send the water equally to both which means your siphon will attempt 50% of the water and the durso the other 50% you can raise the durso above the overflow weir, but that will increase the display water level to increase the flow to the durso.

If you do go with two overflows you need a siphon and open channel in each to function correctly.

breeze
02/24/2014, 12:44 PM
That's a good point. Maybe I can have the two overflows connected. Why the 3 pipe?

SGT_York
02/25/2014, 12:58 PM
Just a failsafe not to be used unless there is a problem "dry emergency" Siphon lines have a nack for sucking in snails that get stuck in the gate valve a non siphon they would just pass on through.

Greatreefer
02/25/2014, 02:44 PM
I found this video on accident and found it quite facinating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhqPbV4SyBw