PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sponge

scubaprashant
02/23/2014, 07:32 PM
So, when I started my reef tank a year and a half ago, I had purchased one small frag with something very yellow on the small rock (about 2"x2") with the green button polyps. I poked it and it had the consistency of cured silicone but with a yellow color. After a while, I found out it was a sponge, and never really bothered with it again.

After a year and a half, it is growing all over my rock structure, stemming from the original frag of green button polyps. I found this to be quite interesting, because it grows at about the same rate as green star polyp, which in my case is pretty fast.

It seems that this sponge doesn't get covered in coraline algae, so over time, does this mean that my rock will be invaded by this sponge? Will my rock be less beneficial?

On one hand, I like it because it adds great stability to my rock structure as it grows onto adjacent rocks, but on the other, it seems like I could have a big problem on my hands in a few years. I should also note that the green button polyps haven't had any hindered growth in spite of the sponge. The growth isn't as dense as where sponge is absent, but they are still growing nicely despite polyps being surrounded by the sponge.

Thoughts?