PDA

View Full Version : Fish and inverts for a 5 gal nano?

jellyfish4me
02/25/2014, 03:33 PM
I got a fluval spec v 5.6 gallon tank. It's set up for a few days now with the aragonite bagged live sand and 2 pieces of live (not very) rock from petco. Petco is the only store in my city that carries saltwater anything. But I wanted to have something to start the cycle going until I can make the hour and half drive to get some good stuff. I also ordered a finnex 36w power compact fixture from premiumaq on eBay. I'm starting to get super excited!

I will be heading up to Omaha, NE this weekend to shop for my aquarium. Going to get about 10 lbs live rock for sure, the rest is up in the air.

This will be a soft coral reef tank, if that matters...

My question: can I add crabs, shrimp, snails, starfish during the cycle? Or do I need to wait? Any suggestions on the amount that I can add? This question goes for after the cycle too, meaning.... Is there a strict limit to starfish, shrimp, ect for a tank this size like there is for fish?

And as far as my 1 fish that I want to have... Will a yellow spotted goby be ok in such a small tank? And if he is... Am I pushing it to also add a pistol shrimp?

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give me!

Spork3245
02/25/2014, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't add anything that's alive until the cycle is done.

Also, yellow watchman gobies need a 30 gallon aquarium.
You could probably get a clown goby for a 5 gallon though, definitely a cleaner goby.

Sk8r
02/25/2014, 03:41 PM
No on the fish, really: tiny tanks are a pita to keep re water quality, and hard even for an expert. To make sure you have a happy outcome, I'd suggest going corals and inverts. Get it cycled, then install some mushrooms and button polyps, and a couple or so scarlet hermits, maybe a couple of sexy shrimp, (that's their name, and they're cute as can be but tiny) and keep that until you're good at it. If you can keep all those guys alive and happy, and those corals expanded and thriving, then would be time to try one of the micro-nano fish: the reason I say steer clear at first is that those fish are Difficult, and keeping a tank that small is Difficult. Everything else I've named is hardy (except the shrimp) and easy.

clay12340
02/25/2014, 03:54 PM
I'd personally skip the hermits and get a couple of interesting small snails. I didn't like them in my little tanks. It seemed like they were always trampling over everything and were too destructive. They are definitely active, but I think in such limited space it can become problematic.

The sexy shrimp are a great suggestion. I had a couple in a 3 gallon and they were a lot of fun to watch. Just figure out some kind of cover to keep them from jumping out.

jellyfish4me
02/25/2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. And I hear you about the fish. I did a search for nano fish earlier and that is how I came up with the watchmen goby. But I do see now that if I read a little further... everything says he will need at least 30 gallons. I will just wait on any fish for now like sk8r suggests. As long as I have something moving around in there, like the shrimp. I will be happy with that.

I just think the excitement is coming from wanting to make the hour and a half drive worthwhile. ;) But it looks like I'll be coming home with only live rock.

And just to be clear... No clean up crew until the tank has cycled? I have had saltwater tanks in the past and thought it was ok to add some things at the beginning, but it has been a while and I know how things change in this hobby.

@ Clay... funny... I feel the same way about snails... I hated them in the past. They always got stuck somewhere.... in the powerhead intakes, overflow tubes, ect... But this is a much smaller tank then I had before, so maybe I will try some later.

Sk8r
02/25/2014, 05:25 PM
That's true. They just don't need to be in there through the ammonia (lethal stuff) spike that precedes the bacteria balancing out. We've found it's not necessary, and it's unkind to even the hardiest critters. I've had all sorts of things survive the cycle, but it's just better not to do it to them.

Re the crabs: they're a matter of choice. They walk all over corals. I've had them with sps, the touchier sort, and never had them do any harm, but some people like them, some people don't, and there may be some species they really bug--

PunkHazard
02/25/2014, 07:48 PM
Let the tank fully cycle before you add anything. Then I would add clean up crew as needed. A snail here and hermit crab there. I would make a dedicated invert tank. Pom pom crabs, sexy shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, porcelain crabs, and other small inverts to take advantage of the tanks small size. A lot of the tiny cool inverts can get lost in the mix in bigger tanks. As far as a fish goes, I would stick with something along the lines of a clown goby or the like. I've had many nanos in the past, once you get the groove they're really fun and easy.

jellyfish4me
02/26/2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks again guys. Since I'm only getting the live rock, I decided to go ahead and just have it shipped to me. Less chance of me impulse buying that way. I ordered from the old gulf-view because they always left me impressed in the past. Their rock was always so much better than anything I've ever seen in a real store. I'm in Iowa, so the pickings here are pretty slim. I will post pics in a new thread when the rock gets here. :)

julie180
02/27/2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks again guys. Since I'm only getting the live rock, I decided to go ahead and just have it shipped to me. Less chance of me impulse buying that way. I ordered from the old gulf-view because they always left me impressed in the past. Their rock was always so much better than anything I've ever seen in a real store. I'm in Iowa, so the pickings here are pretty slim. I will post pics in a new thread when the rock gets here. :)

That was a very good plan. Impulse at fish stores has caused me many problems in the past.
Best of luck