PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on sump please

Gashauler
02/25/2014, 06:48 PM
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that has a bob skimmer, heater and the pickup and return nozzle for a canister filter that I turned into a phosphate/carbon reactor(took everthing out but a bag of gfo and carbon). I'm tired of looking at all the stuff hanging on the back!!! I have a 10 gallon tank laying around that I'm thinking of making a sump. I want to put my skimmer and heater in it. I'm going to buy a hob overflow. Don't want a fuge or anything like that yet. Will the pump for the can filter provide enough flow (206 gph) for what I'm thinking of doing????

nlgill13
02/25/2014, 06:51 PM
it depends on the head loss of your setup:

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Gashauler
02/25/2014, 07:16 PM
Thank you nlgill. I have no idea what pump is in the filter. It says in the booklet that max head is 4.75 ft and I only have about 3. I'm gonna try it and see how it turns out. Worst case I'll just go buy a new pump!!!

nlgill13
02/25/2014, 07:19 PM
Thank you nlgill. I have no idea what pump is in the filter. It says in the booklet that max head is 4.75 ft and I only have about 3. I'm gonna try it and see how it turns out. Worst case I'll just go buy a new pump!!!

I would do the same...for warning: you might end up not having enough turn over rate through your sump if the pump is really weak.

ReeferNC
02/25/2014, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't try to use the pump from the canister filter if you can at all avoid it. Canister filters are designed to work with zero head. Because they are a closed system, any head pressure from the return line is completely countered by the siphon pressure in the drain line. This is why canister filter pumps are designed for high flow with low pressure. If you were to attempt to run this pump in a sump setup, I'd be surprised if it didn't poop out at 3 feet. You can pick up a Mag 5 pump for fairly cheap which if recollection serves me will move 350gph at 5 feet of head. This would be ideal for considering your setup size allowing you to completely circulate your tank 10 times per hour.